Mild Tinnitus and Measuring Loudness

Discussion in 'Support' started by Grace, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Hey all, may be a dumb question but how can one measure the db of there T? For ex, i can only hear mine in an absolute silent room such as a bathroom with no noise.. Would i be able to measure it then? And what could i possibly compare it too. Any suggestions from someone with mild T cause im just curious. Im kinda leaning towards 15-20 db but im not sure whats that quiet to compare it too. i know most would say why should i care if its not loud, but im just wondering out of curiousity.

2. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Hey grace. Usually an audiologist can do a test that allows you to match the sound.

3. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Also I would add that it's pretty difficult to guess what it is at. 20 dbs is towards the louder end of the spectrum from what I have read.

4. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since ´90 ´s. severe ->2013 on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere´s Disease/acoustic trauma?
      "i can only hear mine in an absolute silent room such as a bathroom with no noise"
      so when you are not in that absolute silent room you cannot hear it?

I guess there are some ways to measure the loudness. wish there was. i have been thinking the same question myself.

5. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @Grace Seeing an audiologist is only way to correctly determine your tinnitus loudness. Audiologists will first give you a hearing exam and then test your tinnitus. If you have hearing loss in your tinnitus frequencies--even if that loss is minor--it will affect your ability to determine loudness.

With very low tinnitus, it is best not to monitor it. Why bother? You might visit an audiologist yearly to make sure your tinnitus and hearing are stable. But otherwise I would just enjoy my life and always wear ear protection at concerts, weddings, movies, etc.

You are very lucky! :)

6. K.Sarah

K.Sarah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure from edm music festival
      You and me both :) I hear tinnitus in a quiet place or room. Most of the day, I tune it out and I don't even remember that I have it.