Author
Advocate
Sep 25, 2016
Sydney
Tinnitus Since
09/2016
Cause of Tinnitus
Heat Exhaustion
Last night my wife and I walked to a nearby neighnorhood mulberry tree for a good feed of mulberries (we used a torch as it was late). I woke this morning after a very good night sleep. And for the first time in quite a while I had a very engaging and vivid dream. Linking the two, I did some research on mulberries:

Did You Know These 7 Foods Can Cause Hallucinations?

My tinnitus hasn't changed, but the quality of my sleep definitely saw an improvement. Maybe we should we all be eating hallucinogenic mulberries before going to bed!

That's an interesting link! We knew all this back in the 60s and 70s, when everyone was trying to figure out how to trip if there was no acid around. The website is a little optimistic on its expectations though. I never knew anyone who hallucinated from drinking coffee or eating nutmeg. Same for the cheese and stuff, that sounds more like a mild poisoning effect.

We did try nutmeg and morning glory seeds, you can soak them in alcohol and eat the residue, but what you get is lysergic acid, which is just the "L" of lysergic acid diethylamide, or LSD. It's not a very good trip. Your best bet is plain old 'shrooms. High potency there! You need to figure out which ones are which though, they're different varieties in different places. We always headed to the cow fields after a rain, even the cows would eat them and trip. What else did they have to do all day? If they were standing around, there were no 'shrooms. If they were lying down w/ big eyes, we could score. You were always guessing on the dosage, but it was always a good trip.

I discovered a neat sleep aid called diphenhydramine HCI, which is in OTC medications like Sleep-Aid. Like most of us, I have trouble w/ sleeping due to tinnitus, and this works great for me. The dosage is 50 mg in liquid or a squishy pill, 2 or 3 do the trick for me. I've been dreaming much more vividly now that I'm getting deeper sleep. They don't appear to have any bad side effects, just the usual things one gets from a sleep aid. Drowsiness, which is why you would take it anyway, mild balance issues (not a problem if you're lying down to sleep), possible dry mouth, etc. It's a pretty mild drug, which is why it's OTC.

The link said "unripe" mulberries. I remember eating ripe mulberries when I was younger. They weren't very good and had no effect on me.

Diphenhydramine is in common OTC sleep meds like Benadryl in 25 and 50 mg doses. It is associated with an increased risk of dementia. I have tried it occasionally up to 50 mg with dry mouth and very little benefit in sleeping. Zolpidem works a lot better for me.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now