Musician Brian Setzer Cancelled 2019 Annual Xmas Tour Due to Severe Case of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Luman, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Brian Setzer had to cancel his annual Xmas concerts, due to "Severe Tinnitus".

Here is the story:
      On Monday (Nov. 11), Brian Setzer canceled his Christmas Rocks! Tour with the Brian Setzer Orchestra. According to a press release, Setzer was diagnosed with a severe case of tinnitus, a condition that causes sufferers to hear a constant noise or ringing in their ears, often tied to age-related hearing loss or an injury to the inner-ear hair cells.

"It's heartbreaking to disappoint my fans who have shared my Christmas seasons with me for over fifteen years," Setzer said in a statement. "I'm truly sorry for the inconvenience this has caused all of the amazing people who make my tour happen and to my unbelievably loyal and devoted fans. I hate to let you down and I hope you'll understand."

The 20-plus-city annual tour with the Stray Cats singer/guitarist's 19-piece orchestra was slated to kick off Friday in Minneapolis and run through Dec. 21 in Los Angeles; tickets can be refunded at the point of purchase. Setzer was set to play some of the favorites form his 2015 album Rockin' Rudolph, a 12-track set of holiday songs including "Most Wonderful Time of the Year," "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," "Carol of the Bells" and "O Little Town of Bethlehem" as well as two versions of the Setzer original "Yabba-Dabba Yuletide."

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8543268/brian-setzer-cancels-christmas-tour-tinnitus

2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      He has 29,000 followers on Twitter. Do you know him personally?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, and I don't use Twitter.

4. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Smart man. Neither do I.

As for Setzer, articles like this always sort of beat around the bush. If he didn't have T before and now he does, that sucks to get so far in your career only to get hit up by it now. If he really does HAVE T then it ain't going away and if he feels he can't perform with it now then he may be done as a live act which would be a shame. The article doesn't clarify any of that.

5. friend74
      Doubtful

friend74 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      As I read this I just had to think of our forum member Al Di Meola who has catastrophic tinnitus. He still plays live but only acoustic shows.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Bill Arsenault

Bill Arsenault Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Permanent/Highly intrusive since 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Over Exposure. Worsened by ototoxic Street Drugs/Meds.
      Setzer has had it for a very long time and
      his name is on a some of the lists of celebrities with tinnitus.

7. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      BuT dId He TrY TiNiTuS rEtRaInInG tHeRaPy

Or yoga. DID HE DRINK MORE WATER?

WAS IT TMJ ALL LONG?!

Should he wait for FX-322 or the Susan Shore device?!?!?!?!?!?!

• Funny Funny x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I saw Al Di Meola many years ago, an outdoor summer concert in Central Park, NYC. The volume was about average, nowhere near dangerous for an hour, or so, from where we were sitting, but it was probably very loud on stage. Most musicians have tinnitus to one degree or another, and we have other professional musicians here who have tinnitus.