• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

New to Pulsatile Tinnitus (PT) and Seeking Your Thoughts

Ian Mc

Author
Jun 3, 2019
Tinnitus Since
April 2019
Cause of Tinnitus
Unknown Pulsatile Tinnitus
Hi, I'm new to pulsatile tinnitus. The sound of a"beating heart" (not whooshing) started in my left ear about a month ago. The same sound that you get when you are startled or running up a flight of stairs.

To date I have noticed that, the beating mainly occurs when I lean forward e.g., when I lean to look at something on a table, lean forward on a chair etc. It is not present when I am standing upright or sitting upright. I can vary the intensity of the beating by moving my head left or right, it's hardly noticeable when my head is centered. I can also stop the beating when I'm sitting by bending until I am parallel to the floor. It sometimes wakes me from sleep but I can stop it by turning to either my right or left side, pinching my nose and blowing out against my pinched nose, which pops my ears (valsalva).

I have heard the beating in my ear from time to time (over the years) but didn't give it much thought as it wasn't more or less constant.

I'm have to admit that I have started to focus on it this time (and search google for info) which may have resulted in me paying too much attention to what may be a normal sound?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Hi, I'm new to pulsatile tinnitus. The sound of a"beating heart" (not whooshing) started in my left ear about a month ago. The same sound that you get when you are startled or running up a flight of stairs.

To date I have noticed that, the beating mainly occurs when I lean forward e.g., when I lean to look at something on a table, lean forward on a chair etc. It is not present when I am standing upright or sitting upright. I can vary the intensity of the beating by moving my head left or right, it's hardly noticeable when my head is centered. I can also stop the beating when I'm sitting by bending until I am parallel to the floor. It sometimes wakes me from sleep but I can stop it by turning to either my right or left side, pinching my nose and blowing out against my pinched nose, which pops my ears (valsalva).

I have heard the beating in my ear from time to time (over the years) but didn't give it much thought as it wasn't more or less constant.

I have to admit that I started to focus on the beating this time (and search google for info) which may have resulted in me paying too much attention to what may be a normal sound?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Hi Ian, nice to meet you. I am new to PT as well, and it has me baffled. I'm used to tinnitus, ringing in the ears, but PT is a new one for me.

About a month ago, I developed a sinus infection, ( never had one before ) very stuffy nose, constant blowing nose, ears plugged up, especially the left. Slight scratchy sore throat, which went away after a day or two, occasional headache, but the nose stuffiness remained and ears blocked like I was talking in a tunnel, also clicking noises in the left ear. This went one for about 2 weeks. Then one morning I woke up to a rhythmic, whooshing sound in my ear, I was sound asleep, dreaming actually, but I was awakened abruptly with this awful noise in my ear. It mimicked a heart beat. Talk about scary... not a good feeling. All the while my ears are stopped up, my jaw clicks, still very runny nose, and when I bend over, or change my head position, it's like stopped up with mucus, that seems to move around...like I said, I had to blow my nose incessantly for weeks, not sure where all the mucus came from.

Well now the sinus infection is slowly clearing up, not so stuffy anymore, but my ear still clicking sounds, and intermittently the whooshing comes around, mostly in the morning when I first wake up. It's very unsettling.

I have been researching PT extensively since all this happened and I want to assume that the sinus infection could have precipitated the PT. And as I read the posts here, I find there is a myriad of treatments which I am reluctant to begin until I can get a handle of its origin. This whole episode has me puzzled.

And yes, it seems sometimes we get so involved into what is happening to us and perhaps make too much out of it, I just don't know at this point. Sometimes too much research, only reveals more confusion, there is so many reasons that could affect us in this way.

How are you feeling about all this? I hope you are not having too hard of a time with this. I'd love to hear more of your experiences with this and feelings on treatments, testing, etc.

Have a great day, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

the Sage

Hi there Sage, and welcome to PT.

We have a bit in common here, I'm from Australia and we have just had the hottest driest summer on record which resulted in me having hay fever for months (sore throat, runny nose, watery eyes etc etc ). Whether or not this "cranked up" my PT or not, I will never know.

What I do know is that I am hearing my heartbeat (not a whooshing sound) in my left ear when I am in certain positions e.g. head tilted downwards and facing either left or right, when bending forward at around 45 degrees, when in bed etc (could it be caused by my neck or shoulder muscles or nerves). I've been to 3 doctors who admit that they are clueless as to PT. I've tried anti-inflammatory meds, had my ears cleaned, started taking vitamin supplements, had nasal irrigation etc etc.. I'm not keen to pursue ENT visits, multiple scans etc as more often than not, nothing is found. It certainly is scary though and has resulted in me experiencing poor sleep, losing a few kilos, and feeling stressed.

Like you I have researched PT extensively, which probably wasn't a good idea. I have had (very) short episodes of PT in the past but I didn't pay much attention to them and they cleared up. I'm starting to think that I may be focusing to closely on the PT and that I should just accept it and move on as what I am hearing may be noraml body sounds / functions that are being magnified by my focus and stress levels?

Rgds

Ian

Good morning Ian, so nice to hear from you.

I feel sorry that you are going through this, somewhat my situation as well. I live in the desert, never had allergy problems or sinus problems, ever... and I have been around a long time. lolol We share the same analysis as far as seeking treatment, and or imaging tests, medications, etc., etc.... I am not quick to act in these areas. I marvel at those that go from one entity to another in search of a solution and or cause/cure: tests, CT scans with contrast dye imaging, x-rays, medications, yikes. Yes, in some cases it is warranted, but there is so many maladies attached to this phenom, I've got to be sure what testing, imaging I need first before I allow the doctor to try anything and everything in the interim. Makes no sense to me. But the docs love it ... !

But this sinus infection that came upon me in the last month, has really thrown me. First a low-grade sore throat, which went away after a day ... but intermittent headaches, sneezing, blowing the nose, every 5 minutes, you wonder where it all comes from. lol can't sleep, stuffed up nose, ears, crackling, hissing, ears, jaw clicking, gosh you name it.

Then the awful whooshing one morning, so unnerving, scary, I get nervous about it, and that makes it worse.
I am attributing this to the PT, it is too coincidental not to be... time will tell.

Let me say, I do love your analysis of PT and how you deem to approach it, gives me hope for near resolution. Thanks for that. Let's keep in touch and see how we progress ok?

It has been a pleasure to meet you and I hope you start to feel better soon.

hugs,
the Sage

Hi! I am on a deep dive search over here as well after an unsettling experience today. I am also having allergy/congestion issues. I regularly do, but I guess it's fair to say that the last couple of days or so have been quite a bit worse.

After reading more about PT, I am just more stressed and nervous. When it happened, I was leaning to the left side. My spine has had some issues lately because of my bed mattress. That and I have been on my cell phone a lot with bad posture so I am already feeling my neck getting stiff. I feel like it's probably safe to assume that it happened because of either or both of these issues. However, it was just such a scary experience that I am having hard time not obsessing over it. How are you both doing now? My episode lasted for just a few seconds, and it hasn't happened again. hopefully it wont.

Hi! I am on a deep dive search over here as well after an unsettling experience today. I am also having allergy/congestion issues. I regularly do, but I guess it's fair to say that the last couple of days or so have been quite a bit worse.

After reading more about PT, I am just more stressed and nervous. When it happened, I was leaning to the left side. My spine has had some issues lately because of my bed mattress. That and I have been on my cell phone a lot with bad posture so I am already feeling my neck getting stiff. I feel like it's probably safe to assume that it happened because of either or both of these issues. However, it was just such a scary experience that I am having hard time not obsessing over it. How are you both doing now? My episode lasted for just a few seconds, and it hasn't happened again. hopefully it wont.

Hi there AmyLee22, My PT sounds like yours...! I also spend too much time on my phone, my computer and my tablet., and yes my posture is not good while doing this, I have also developed a sore neck and shoulder (posture?). I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you, particularly since you have only had one episode of PT. I'm doing my best to spend less time on my electronic toys and I'm ensuring that I am watching my posture. This seems to be working as my PT is definitely reducing. I've also stopped researching PT on google and am "getting on" with my life. Relax..!

Thank you for your words! I absolutely agree. After getting some rest last night, I realized that I was panicking unnecessarily. Anxiety can be such a beast! I am going to go into self care mode and be much more mindful about what I am reading and putting into my mind. I am so glad that your pT is improving as well. It's the little things sometimes that does it, isn't it? What a blessing!

Thank you for your words! I absolutely agree. After getting some rest last night, I realized that I was panicking unnecessarily. Anxiety can be such a beast! I am going to go into self care mode and be much more mindful about what I am reading and putting into my mind. I am so glad that your pT is improving as well. It's the little things sometimes that does it, isn't it? What a blessing!

That's the spirit, we "anxious types" need to focus more on external things, be kind to yourself... (and others).
Cheers
Ian

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now