New to Tinnitus, Mild but Difficulty Coping

Discussion in 'Support' started by James P, Jan 14, 2015.

1. James P

James P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Club)
      Had it for about 6 weeks now, from a short visit to a club my sister begged me to go to. The club was unbearably loud but I thought one hour would be safe. Week later noticed this constant, ultra high pitch sound while relaxing on the weekend. First few days were fine, since I thought it would go away but started to have doubts. Visit to ENT soon after told me nothing he could do, and it would fade in time.

Finding it hard to cope since silence really was my crutch. I used it for coping, relaxing and really was one of my favorite things in life. Can operate alright during the day now, but night time sleeping is a pain now. I just can't shake the memory of how blissful the utter silence was before. I am craving it and feels kind of feels like going through withdrawal. I get anxious and despair when it comes to bed time. I used to just fall asleep instantly and really could sleep as long as I wanted before, and wish that feeling could return. Was great for recharging whenever I needed to.

Hopefully past the worst, my heart no longer feels like exploding, but I need to learn new relaxation techniques. It used to just come to me naturally with silence. Right now I can manage to get initially fall asleep but once I wake up after two hours or so I can't seem to get back to sleep. Even if I can't hear the tinnitus over mild masking, I can still feel it's hectic presence in part of brain where it used to be calm.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      If you have not experienced much acoustic trauma in the past, I think I speak for many, and in agreement with the ENT, in saying that what you are hearing now will likely fade considerably over the next few months. Any anxiety and sleep deprivation now is causing you to "buzz". Give your CNS a break. Your attitude is good. Focus on sleep, avoid quiet places, and henceforth protect your hearing. Use melatonin, herbal tea, exercise, whatever it takes to help you with sleep. I wish you well.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      James P

James P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Club)
      Thanks, going by what I see other people exposed to, I really should be fine. I got nothing to compare the sound I was exposed to but either I'm really unlucky or my brain is just making this sound up on it's own.

4. Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post ear lavage tinnitus.
      Same situation here. Went to a loud @$$ club/bar and ive had it for 5 weeks with sound sensitivity

5. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      More likely that the hairs in your inner ear have incurred damage, and thus your brain is filling in the missing signal with this phantom sound. Some people may be more sensitive. I've seen published research which suggest that stress (anxiety, lack of sleep) at time of exposure and subsequent few days can make the ringing "stick". Cumulative exposure, IMO, is a principle factor. Hard to say how much your limbic system (anxiety) is exacerbating the sound. As a scientist I think in terms of "chance" as opposed to luck. As in: statistically, your chances of sustaining additional damage are low if you avoid loud noise as specified in dB-level and duration-of-exposure guidelines.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      James P

James P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Club)
      Yeah I feel like very minor damage at certain areas but dominant so far has been something like 15-18khz CRT tv sound in right ear that makes me always think a tv is on. Turning one on masks the sound for me but I was always found that sound annoying anyway unfortunately. Part bothering me most about the whole experience I think is being faced with my own inevitable aging and mortality which I never really thought much about before.

Also it's quite nice and mild today, basically invisible except in dead silence.

7. Paul201
      Pacman

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      Hopefully your t stays nice and quiet and heaven forbid fades totally, that would be nice, they say it does happen, im also holding out for that too..........