Newbie on Prednisone — Side Effects or Is This How You Feel w/Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Colgate, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Colgate

Colgate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Started w/tinnitus out of the blue about a month ago with a clogged sensation in my right ear. The sound reminds me of when the tv warmed up when you turned it on, in the olden days! Saw an ENT who said my right eardrum looked dull, thay may indicate that an infection was clearing up. I had had some allergy symptoms around that time with some sinus congestion, etc.

The doc prescribed predinsone, 20 mg AM & PM for two days and 10 mg AM & PM for two days. This seemed like a really short course, however, she said it might quell some inflammation if my tubes were blocked.

It did not help and I saw a partner in the large ENT practice last week (my two-week f/u with the first doc was cancelled due an emergency in her family, then the subsequent appt was cancelled for the same reason so I asked to see another doctor). I feel like I lost valuable time waiting for a follow-up. Also, I had a flight after the first appt and used the airplanes ear plugs which helped with the pressure balance due to flying..

Now I am on day 4 of a 15-day course of prednisone. The doc said the higher dose would be more effective:
      40 mg AM & PM for 7 days
      40 mg AM only for 3 days
      20 mg AM only for 3 days
      10 mg AM only for 2 days

I have a weird feeling in my head, feeling emotional, down and anxious, but I can sleep at night. Are these feelings from the prednisone or my response to the tinnitus. I am very worried and I appreciate knowing that I will get used to this and am hopeful it might go away. My husband has this, too, which is so weird. He developed it after a transatlantic flight about a year ago when he had a bad cold. His clogged ear feeling went away but the sound remains but it doesn't bother him.

Thanks for your support!

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Colgate

Colgate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Also, I had a hearing test and have hearing loss in both ears, more so in the right ear. I am so worried about going deaf.

3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Tinnitus can do a lot and it can cause your emotions/anxiety/stress to rise. I also firmly believe that medicines can also cause side effects as well. Stress/anxiety can do many things to the body and mind, so trying to keep it in control is a must. I am not in favor of meds (that's just how I am) and do not want to handle some of the side effects that might come along the way.

Your tinnitus is fairy new, so it will take some time to adjust to. All of u started the same way you did and it took lots of patience/support to get a grip on the matter.

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      It could be either the medication or tinnitus, or a combination of both.

But you've done the right thing in at least trying a course of oral corticosteroids to treat your tinnitus and limit any potential hearing loss. I wish I had done the same back when I first got tinnitus.

I've been through a couple of courses of oral corticosteroids since then, with similar doses and length of course as yourself. I had minimal side effects but did have a lot of energy. I got a lot of things done when I was on a course of prednisolone. But some people can experience anxiety and insomnia. The sides will go away pretty quick.

Exercise can help you deal with the stress. But, if you're really struggling then maybe head to the doctors for a small script of diazepam to help you cope, at least while you're finishing off your corticosteroid taper.

5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Prednisone can give all sorts of weird feelings that are different from person to person. It does often cause insomnia, so if you can sleep while on prednisone and being while being new to tinnitus that's very good.