• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Oil Pulling as a Tinnitus Teatment?

This blogger has detailed information on her site, aimed at manufacturers, on how they can send her products that she'll review, and get her "reviews" out on social media for them (for a price, I am sure). She also (surprise, surprise) just happens to have a link on her site to places where you can buy coconut oil for oil pulling.

Not exactly an unbiased source.

I get very annoyed by these marketers (who often are pushing natural supplements and miracle cures) posing as average people writing a blog. I believe the Federal Trade Commission, in the states, came down on this as a deceptive practice a few years ago. Which it is.

Thing is, they say you only need to do it for a couple of weeks to see the benefit so really its only going to cost very little to see if it works so what they have to gain from bullshitting there arse off is beyond me!
You can buy a 500ml jar for under 20 bucks over here which at a dessert spoon a day would last at least a month actually it would last around 50 days!

So snake oil or not it's going to cost SFA to see if you benefit from it!

Just my opinion, @RichL: But why put a single cent into the pocket of obvious scammers? I am not opposed to trying alternative treatments. But this one is tied to nothing but a web site with a product link. Paying money to these people does nothing but encourage crooks to take advantage of desperate people.

Just my opinion, @RichL: But why put a single cent into the pocket of obvious scammers? I am not opposed to trying alternative treatments. But this one is tied to nothing but a web site with a product link. Paying money to these people does nothing but encourage crooks to take advantage of desperate people.

I agree but the point I was trying to make is that you can try this without paying anyone except your local super market for the coconut oil (about 20 dollars), so this doesn't really count as a scam! does it?

I agree but the point I was trying to make is that you can try this without paying anyone except your local super market for the coconut oil (about 20 dollars), so this doesn't really count as a scam! does it?
That's why I don't post too much on this site anymore, people just turn very negative about any alternate info or suggestions. I googled oil pulling all day, and I did come across few other blogs or forums where people said it had helped them, somebody wrote that maybe just the exercise of swishing the oil around in the mouth helped their TMJ.

Yes Sherri786, I have noticed that alternative medicine seems to be a bit of a dirty word around here, some people on here are very quick to label things a scam even in this case where no one will be making money out of trying this particular course.

If I offended either of you, @Sherri786 or @RichL, I do apologize. I realize my original post wasn't clear: I was commenting on growing practice of mixing blogging and marketing, not the practice of oil pulling itself. As you suggested, RichL, anyone could go to a market, buy some coconut oil and give it a try.

I don't think alternative medicine is uniformly frowned on at TT, although not all support it -- which is OK. It is not necessarily a matter of being negative. We are allowed different opinions. Tinnitus Talk even has a separate forum for alternative treatments and many people post there, including me. I myself have tried/am trying alternatives: acupuncture (which some people on this board have called a scam) and supplements. If you try oil pulling, I am sure people here would be interested in the results. There are limited traditional treatment options for tinnitus, so other paths are often all we have.

I do, however, stand by the original intent of my post: that I am concerned about the growing number of blogs or wellness web sites posing as legitimate sources of unbiased information when, in fact, they are selling products or being paid for reviews. I extend my skepticism to "patient testimonials" on mainstream medical product sites. When I was researching Neuromonics, I skipped right past the patient stories on the company's site. Why should I believe anything written by people who are hand-picked by Neuromonics or paid by them? Instead, I talked to Neuromonics users on this board and here locally while making my decision.

Again, apologies for my miscommunication, and best to you both.

Oil pulling helps mouth related issues. . Like gum and tooth
Usually use sesame oil
Its nowhere related to ear infection or tinnitus. .

If I offended either of you, @Sherri786 or @RichL, I do apologize. I realize my original post wasn't clear: I was commenting on growing practice of mixing blogging and marketing, not the practice of oil pulling itself. As you suggested, RichL, anyone could go to a market, buy some coconut oil and give it a try.

I don't think alternative medicine is uniformly frowned on at TT, although not all support it -- which is OK. It is not necessarily a matter of being negative. We are allowed different opinions. Tinnitus Talk even has a separate forum for alternative treatments and many people post there, including me. I myself have tried/am trying alternatives: acupuncture (which some people on this board have called a scam) and supplements. If you try oil pulling, I am sure people here would be interested in the results. There are limited traditional treatment options for tinnitus, so other paths are often all we have.

I do, however, stand by the original intent of my post: that I am concerned about the growing number of blogs or wellness web sites posing as legitimate sources of unbiased information when, in fact, they are selling products or being paid for reviews. I extend my skepticism to "patient testimonials" on mainstream medical product sites. When I was researching Neuromonics, I skipped right past the patient stories on the company's site. Why should I believe anything written by people who are hand-picked by Neuromonics or paid by them? Instead, I talked to Neuromonics users on this board and here locally while making my decision.

Again, apologies for my miscommunication, and best to you both.

No offence taken Ladydi,

It's probably more that I could not see a reason to even point that out when I assumed it was pretty obvious but on reflection can see the merit of you pointing it out. If that sentence makes sense lol.

I agree that you do have to be careful of peoples agendas and investigate anything that is claimed to help health issues, I am a believer in natural medicine just as much as real science!

Rich

I regularly do oil pulling and teeth and gum irrigation. Even if I haven't had my teeth cleaned in many years, I'm always told I have little to no plaque. I've always considered oil pulling to be a great preventive measure for teeth and gum problems. You can also notice how much whiter teeth become after only a few days. -- I now see it as a great preventive measure from having to get dental treatment that could easily exacerbate both my t & h.

From THIS WEBSITE:

I also had periodontal disease and read about oil pulling and started using cold pressed sunflower oil. It only took 2 weeks for my teeth to tighten in my gums. I went to the dentist after a month of oil pulling and my hygienist could not believe how my teeth had improved.

Another side note about oil pulling is vision improvement. I'm 55 years old and still do not need glasses. Just after turning 40 my vision was failing. After only 6 months of oil pulling, my vision improved greatly.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now