Oversleeping Improves My Constant Noise Induced Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bobby B, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Hi Folks,

My tinnitus is 100% noise induced, mostly due to firearms and lots of noisy music.

These days I am unemployed due to COVID-19 so I sleep when I want and how long I want.

I found out that whenever I oversleep, like 10 hours per day, my tinnitus goes to such low levels that it is barely there, and stays that way for the whole day. Never had this happen to me since I got it.

We know well that a lack of sleep makes the tinnitus much louder, but I also found out that on the other end, too much sleep can make tinnitus far quieter than what I can get out of a normal 8 hours time. This seems to refresh the brain.

I don't use Benzos or anything else.

For example I sleep a good 8 hours then take a nap in the afternoon for 2 hours.
      Some ways I use to force myself sleepy - delay food intake for several hours such as in the intermittent fasting method, until I feel very hungry and my stomach makes loud sounds... I then eat a light meal with moderate carbs and low GI.

Brain needs some carbs to work and overcome the tinnitus so the Keto diet does not work well here, but you don't want to spike your blood sugar either.

This makes me feel sleepy right away.

10 hours is a bit of a waste of time and may even be unhealthy in the long run, but if your tinnitus drives you mad or depressed, it is worth a try, natural and free of charge. I really enjoy my days with very low tinnitus.

• Like Like x 4
      • Genius Genius x 2
    2. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      My tinnitus is always at its lowest in the morning. Sometimes it settles again at that level in the afternoon, but never in the evening (even if I'm in silence for hours for example).

I've been a night owl for many, many years.

The only issue is that since getting tinnitus, I have not woken up feeling rested once. I feel like a phone battery that just doesn't recharge much anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      When I wake up, my tinnitus is hardly noticeable for a good few hours. It picks up throughout the day with increased brain activity.

A lot of tinnitus sufferers experience this.

Steph

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I always wake up with pretty loud tinnitus. Most days it fades to a very low level after a while. Oversleeping seems to improve mine as well, but not always.

Lack of sleep definitely often coincides with a very loud day

5. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      How quickly after waking up it fades?

6. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hm, it varies. Anything from 10 minutes to a few hours. And several days a week it does not get lower, on those days it's often loudest at night.

7. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      I envy you guys so much. I wish I could have quiet. My tinnitus continues to get louder all the time. 10 months into this hell.

8. Rosco99

Rosco99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss
      Can’t wait to try this!

9. LoganV

LoganV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey @Bobby B. I know your original post is from a while ago at this point but my tinnitus acts very similar to yours. Some days I wake up with it & others I don’t. If I have the day off and wake up with tinnitus I can usually sleep a few more hours and wake up without it.

Have you gotten any answers about your tinnitus? Any info you could pass along would be awesome!