• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Partial Facial Numbness

MadeleineHope

Author
Mar 25, 2023
Tinnitus Since
10/2022
Cause of Tinnitus
Acoustic shock/noise-induced
Hi everyone,

I've been dealing with hyperacusis (loudness & pain) for about 8 months now. Two or three weeks ago, I developed a worrisome new symptom - partial facial numbness. It was initially just on the left side of my face, but quickly spread to the other. It is not a complete numbness, but a partial one, & my face feels very tight and kind of like it's sunburned. I can't say for sure what triggered this symptom, but I do know that I first noticed it when there was some music coming into my place from the bar across the street. It was barely audible (I was indoors with windows & doors closed), but I do react quite strongly to music. I had also gone on a couple of walks mostly earplug-free in the wee hours of the morning in the days prior, & I hadn't been doing that previously (though I was able to walk in the park earplug-free for extended periods of time). So it's possible that one or both of these things triggered the numbness, but it's odd because I have never experienced this symptom before in all this time.

I am very worried because this symptom has not abated, & I am concerned that it's going to become permanent. I would normally go to the emergency room, but with my severe hyperacusis & the waiting time, I don't think it's a good idea. I am in the process of getting an appointment set up with my family doctor to hopefully at least get a CT scan, but I'm wondering whether anyone has experienced this symptom before, & if so, what the outcome was?

Thanks!

There is a condition called trigeminal neuropathy, which has this symptom. It can also be related to tinnitus and vertigo. The condition itself arises from a dysfunction of the trigeminal nerve and can have different causes.

I had partial face numbness on the right side of my face. This mostly occurred prior to my tinnitus onset and in the first few weeks. Prior to the onset, the numbness would come and go, most noticeable after I worked out. At the time of my onset and the first few weeks thereafter, the numbness was more present. I learned from my chiropractor that I had very tight neck and shoulder muscles, and they were pulling the muscles along the right side and causing inflammation. This would explain why I would feel the numbness after a workout. And during the time of my onset, I was experiencing lots of workplace stress which was causing me to tense my neck and shoulders. My chiro helped me over a few weeks to relax those tight muscles and the inflammation and numbness eventually subsided.

There is a condition called trigeminal neuropathy, which has this symptom. It can also be related to tinnitus and vertigo. The condition itself arises from a dysfunction of the trigeminal nerve and can have different causes.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking it is. I'm hoping it's just temporary irritation due to a spread of inflammation resulting from my acoustic shock. Hoping there are others who have experienced this & had it go away!
I had partial face numbness on the right side of my face. This mostly occurred prior to my tinnitus onset and in the first few weeks. Prior to the onset, the numbness would come and go, most noticeable after I worked out. At the time of my onset and the first few weeks thereafter, the numbness was more present. I learned from my chiropractor that I had very tight neck and shoulder muscles, and they were pulling the muscles along the right side and causing inflammation. This would explain why I would feel the numbness after a workout. And during the time of my onset, I was experiencing lots of workplace stress which was causing me to tense my neck and shoulders. My chiro helped me over a few weeks to relax those tight muscles and the inflammation and numbness eventually subsided.
Thanks for sharing @Joe Cuber ! Did you ever have any hyperacusis during the time you experienced this? Mine is really worrisome because it's constant :/

@MadeleineHope, now that you mention it, I did have some hyperacusis around the same time. Certain noises like silverware clanking were extra loud. One time, I went to the beach, and the ocean sounded incredibly loud. I also had sound distortion, especially with higher-pitched voices like my kids' voices. It sounded like their voices were coming through a broken speaker. This all calmed down in about 2-3 months. And around 2-4 months in, I started getting some really incredibly sensitive reactive tinnitus. Amazing how reactive it was. But that died down considerably around 6 months, if I remember correctly. So the hyperacusis and distortions died down around 3 months in, and the reactivity calmed down around 6 months in. I hope yours calms down too @MadeleineHope!

Hi @MadeleineHope,

Noxacusis gives me a mild discomfort reaction in my left cheek and along the left jaw in connection to the trigeminal nerve. My bad ear is left. However, it has started on the right from a noise incident just this week and what you describe is similar. I also have aural fullness to which links in with what you have said about inflammation. I am hoping that quiet and time will settle it.

I hope you have a good support network to help you and that this new symptom resolves for you in good time. If you are really worried, maybe talking with a Health Professional would help?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now