Persistent Ear Pressure and Cracking Sounds When Swallowing: Could It Be Tensor Tympani Syndrome (TTTS)?

tomytl

Author
Benefactor
Feb 22, 2014
Tinnitus Since
10 Years
Cause of Tinnitus
unknown
Hello everyone,

Three months ago, I suffered acoustic trauma, and I've been dealing with pre-existing hyperacusis, hearing loss, and tinnitus. Now, I'm experiencing some strange hearing issues, and I can't quite figure out the cause.

When I talk for an extended period, a strong pressure builds up in my ear. Lower sounds, like a car door closing, sound as if they have no dynamic range. Instead of a gradual "booooom," I just hear a quick "boom."

I constantly feel pressure in my ears, and they crack when I swallow. When I try to equalize the pressure, my ears crack loudly three times. Despite this, my middle ear pressure was measured to be normal, and my eardrum appears to be vibrating properly.

Could it be that the middle ear muscles are in a state of contraction, causing these sensations? Sometimes, in the morning while I'm in the shower, I hear a deep, low-frequency hum or fluttering, like a 40-ton truck is idling right outside the house.

How can one determine where this ear pressure is coming from? Could it be caused by Tensor Tympani Syndrome?

Has anyone else experienced something similar? If so, how long did the feeling of pressure in your ear last?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now