• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Poll: Which Sounds Are Worse for Your Hyperacusis?

Which sounds are worse for your hyperacusis?

• Consistent noises like a vacuum or a microwave

• Short dynamic noises like crockery rattle or a sudden slammed door

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tinniger

Author
Benefactor
Jul 31, 2017
Germany
Tinnitus Since
06/2017
Cause of Tinnitus
Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
I read a lot about hyperacusis.

I wonder if my impression is common... please answer the poll above.

Regards,
Tinniger

When my H got really bad one day in the early days of my H it wasn't just things like dishes and door knobs. It was literally everything and anything. I remember going outside that day and layed under a big tree, because the inside of my home was worse than the outside. I remember the light breeze hitting the leaves we're terrible. Little things that shouldn't hurt were just irritating. That was probably my worst point of my H. My T wasn't prominent then. It came and hit me like a bus a while later.

Various-
-Crockery/wine glasses being banged together- awful
-Church bells
-Banging of wood with a hammer- walked past a roofer banging rafters - ouch ouch ouch! Than T is increased for a while after. Calms down eventually but have to go through that process all over again!
-Bricklayers tools - trowel being banged on a brick.
-terrified of loud motorbikes and power tools.

-Funnily enough some loud sounds are ok- I have an oven door that makes a very loud noise to shut and open. But although 'loud' I don't worry.
I think it is getting slightly better and it's not as bad as when it all started.

It depends on the frequencie and level of anxiety. Mostly unexpected explosive sounds are least bearable. I remember I once dropped a little plastic container on a concrete and then my right ears were numbed and for a while everything sounded distorted and weird it came back soon but I guess many people without hyperacusis experience the same thing too.

I have a very hard time with my doorlock sound. The sound is as a rule designed to be quite provocative with that high pitched full sound and depending on my condition it sounds super loud and painful and other times it's a bit comfortable and doesn't hurt much. It's really strange.

Loud music from the speakers on the commercial area are troublesome too. The sounds are enough to dazzle you. :rolleyes:

Consistent noises like water falling and vacuum cleaner are fine. The sound they produce are consistent and not dynamic which means that we have a room for adjustment.

I hate the sound of vacuums but usually anything that is louder and impuldive is much worse. After getting H I am aware of how many beeps there are in our lives. Any kind of beep is my most hated noise.

I have much more problems with consitent noises, which seem to make "resonance catastrophe" in my T-ear...:sick:

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now