Post-Finasteride Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Improved with Time

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by McDog, Aug 21, 2023.

1. McDog

McDog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Finasteride (?)
      TL;DR: I had severe tinnitus and hyperacusis onset after about 1.5 years of taking Finasteride, I struggled to tolerate it for almost a year, and it is finally improving significantly.

I wanted to share this because I could not find anybody reporting improvement or other information that would inform whether this is permanent, and saw a lot of people struggling with a similar condition and uncertain outlook which was a source of fear and stress for me.

It started with a movie jump scare causing my girlfriend to scream next to my ear. The ringing was strong and seemed permanent. I did not suspect a connection with Finasteride at that time. I had been on a 1 mg/day dose for about 1 years at that time.

About 6 months later with constant ringing, I started to have additional moderately loud sounds cause tinnitus in the other ear, heighten the level in both ears, and also noticed the onset of hyperacusis which is where sounds that never used to seem loud (like playing my upright piano) now seem painfully loud. At this time I knew that my hearing was unusually susceptible to damage and I learned about the connection between tinnitus and Finasteride. I started tapering off my dose to mitigate worsening symptoms due to a ‘crash’, taking 1 mg about twice a week for about 3 weeks before ceasing entirely.

During this time moderately loud sounds would leave a feeling of pressure in the affected ear, which would subside after a week leaving an increase in the level of tinnitus. I was extremely worried and started trying to get a medical assessment.

I took an audiogram which showed no substantial hearing loss. I saw multiple doctors before reaching a clinic in otolaryngology and neurology. That doctor said that impermanent tinnitus often takes 6-18 months to improve. They did not have much in the way of treating the root cause and were pointing towards cognitive behavioral therapy which is more about acceptance.

Then, on a random day after 6 months of strong tinnitus and hyperacusis, I woke up with the ringing level significantly reduced.

Before improvement: tinnitus volume was louder than background noise like street noise and wind coming from outside my apartment. Playing piano was painfully loud.

Now: tinnitus volume is only noticeable at silent times like waking up and going to sleep. The intensity is probably 1/5th. Hyperacusis still present but is not as easily triggered.

My timeline:
      • Started Finasteride: September 2021.
      • First tinnitus inducing event: October 2022.
      • June 2023 - Additional tinnitus from moderate sounds, hyperacusis onset, and realization of a connection with Finasteride. Started tapering off the drug over about 3 weeks.
      • July 2023 - Started supplements referenced in the linked paper (unclear if this helped).
      • Tinnitus and hyperacusis improves: August 2023
      There is no confirmation that my case was caused by Finasteride, and there are other specters like a supposed link between COVID-19 vaccine and tinnitus, but I am not going to take Finasteride going forward.

A paper references supplements that may reduce tinnitus by reducing brain inflammation:

From Inflammation to Silence: Promising Strategies for Alleviating Tinnitus through Neuroinflammation Management (PDF)

I hope your case improves like mine did - stay strong.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
    2. Michael_

Michael_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Can you clarify why do you think there's a connection to Finasteride?

• Like Like x 1
    3. SarahMLFlemmer

SarahMLFlemmer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/20/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accutane (withdrawl)
      I would put my money on the vaccine. When did you take it?

Glad you're getting out of this heck of a hole though, sincerely! Thanks for sharing!

4. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Could be both the jab and Finasteride combined, PFS (Post-Finasteride Syndrome) has tinnitus among its many symptoms.