Question About Eustachian Tubes

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Oct 4, 2017.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Okay, so I took some antihistamines late last week and my tinnitus skyrocketed unbelievably...after a couple of days of being off them, my tinnitus has come down some. I have a whistle type sound and it got distorted and then a whole lot of extra sounds came in too....Could this whistle which can fluctuate and change some from day to day be due to fluid in the Eustachian tube?

I notice when I hold my nose and swallow, both ears can change the ear pressure but the one in which I have less tinnitus seems to have more pressure. In addition, if I close my nose and mouth and "blow" (I have been told that can be bad), I can put pressure on the better ear but absolutely NONE on my worse ear. Can anyone shed some light on my situation?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Okay, I have a question...maybe I'm just totally wrong but is it possible to have some kind of thick fluid near the cochlea but the tubes let thin fluid go through? This video explains Eustachian tubes better than any I have ever seen:

Clogged Ear Due to Ear Infection or Eustachian...

3. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      My tinnitus is due to ETD and the sound has changed a lot over the 2+ months that I have had it. It started out as a tone (high pitched and extremely loud and irritating), but changed to crickets, then a whistle, and I've had some strange electric buzz sounds too. For a while, it was drastically changing throughout the day with no real pattern. I think I'm almost done with it (but I've thought that for a couple of weeks now), it is just a quiet whistley hiss most of the time now, easy to ignore.

So yeah, with Eustachian tube issues, I think that the sound could certainly be changing as changes occur inside of your ear. I've read stories of some people with this issue having very bizarre sounds.

My understanding is that ETD usually resolves by itself but it can take some time (months)... You can help it along a little bit with a corticosteroid nasal spray maybe. I just started on Sudafed at my doctor's recommendation and it seems to have somewhat helped to clear up the inner ear fluid/gunk feeling that I was having. I'm pretty sure that mine is the after-effect of an infection... But, ETD can also come up due to allergies, and if that's the case you'll need to take steps to manage that as well to prevent it from becoming an ongoing issue.

[Edit]
      Oh, and as for the Valsava maneuver (blowing with your nose pinched and mouth shut). It took me a while to realize that I could get my bad ear to pop, I just have to continue to build up pressure more than I feel should be necessary. I don't do this too much because I'm worried about putting unnecessary pressure on the ear drum when my ear is already messed up. There are other ways to get the Eustachian tube to open (steam, heating pad, Lowry maneuver).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Stasiapascual

Stasiapascual Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 15, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies/ sinus
      @Aaron44126 : hello aaron did your T go away?

Mine is just a low humming sound on my right ear from clogged ear 4 weeks ago.

5. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      It hasn't totally gone away but it is much better. At this point, I can only hear it in quiet areas, and even then I have to kind of think and "search" for it before I hear it. I don't think about it very often.

It's been like this since early November. So, it was about 15 weeks from onset to that point, and it was getting better slowly starting from around four weeks in. It has flared up a couple of times to a point when it is more noticeable, each time after I caught a cold.

I'm still hopeful that it will continue to improve and eventually go away... But I'm fine where it is at now.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Stasiapascual

Stasiapascual Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 15, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies/ sinus
      @Aaron44126 : i am so glad to hear, mine is very low humming. Im hoping it will fade away soon. Keep me updated.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I tried out something called Eustachi to pop my ears. It works very well in that regard, but unfortunately, it did not help with my tinnitus. Maybe it would help other people though. I saw it at two local stores: CVS and Target. It can also be bought online.

(Note: I did not use it repeatedly so I don't know if that would have made a difference or not. I also don't know if that would be healthy or not to do.)

https://www.amazon.com/Eustachi-Eus...=UTF8&qid=1513646234&sr=8-1&keywords=eustachi