• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Recently Developed Loudness Hyperacusis After Acoustic Trauma — Worsened Tinnitus/Hyperacusis by Methylprednisolone

delta784

Author
Sep 29, 2024
Tinnitus Since
2020, 2024
Cause of Tinnitus
Gunshot, MethylPrednisolone
Hello everyone,

About a month ago, I developed mild loudness hyperacusis due to acoustic trauma. The first ENT doctor I consulted didn't prescribe steroids (Prednisone or Methylprednisolone) because there was no hearing loss. I then went to another ENT, who told me that since the hyperacusis had been present for less than a month, we could try Methylprednisolone. Instead of using the intratympanic route, we opted for intravenous (IV) injections through my arm.

After taking the second 60 mg dose via injection, I developed unmaskable tinnitus in one ear and Morse code-like tinnitus in the other. Following this, I stopped the injections cold turkey. I also feel like my mild hyperacusis has worsened.

My question is: could Prednisone or Methylprednisolone have caused this? Some websites suggest that these medications are ototoxic. I got tested again and still have no hearing loss up to 16,000 Hz in both ears.

I urgently need help. What are the signs of ototoxicity?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now