Ringing Ears for 40 Years — Now: Various Types of Tinnitus, Hearing Loss, Vertigo, Fullness

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Marknyc, Feb 10, 2024.

1. Marknyc

Marknyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus began to worsen in 2020. I've had ringing for 40 years, but I had learned to tune it out.

Four years ago, I began to get loud rumblings and fullness in my right ear. This went away but came back 9 months later. Since them my symptoms have been:
      • Various types of tinnitus, including rumbling, whooshing, and very loud tones
      • Hearing loss
      • Fullness/pressure in the ear
      • Vertigo/balance problems
      Intratympanic steroid injections helped, but only temporarily. I may try to get more. I did a balloon sinuplasty last November but I think that actually worsened things, leading to hyperacusis.

In the last month, things have really gotten bad, to the point that I am now 95% deaf in my right ear. I'm scared my left ear may eventually be affected, leading to complete deafness.

I'm seeing my first neurotologist in early March. What should I ask him? What treatments should I inquire about? I've heard about CBT, TRT, sound generators, Clonazepam - what else should I ask him about?

Some of the stories here are very scary, so any hopeful advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
      Mark

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Sounds like you have Ménière's Disease.

3. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Sorry you’re suffering like the rest of us. It sure seems hard to shut off the ear/head noises. I didn’t know they still did Intratympanic steroid injections. I had them done in 2010 & 2011. I have sort of a static noise more so in my left ear. It’s almost talking volume and I hate it.

Good luck in your neurotologist visit in March. I’ve heard they are a step above an ENT.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marknyc

Marknyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's been discussed but never officially diagnosed. Are there other things I should ask about during my visit?