Sailor's Tinnitus Onset After Ear Infection

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Albert103, Sep 3, 2023.

1. Albert103

Albert103 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi everyone,

Thank you for looking at my thread, for your time, and for participating on Tinnitus Talk.

I have had tinnitus for over ten years. I have been reading Tinnitus Talk over the years and it has given me hope and some suggestions.

So, here's my story:

It all started one morning, moored in a bay in one of the Virgin Islands, in the Caribbean. It wasn't a shark or a deadly jellyfish that hurt me, however. I woke feeling completely numb around my left ear. And I couldn't hear anything.

Two days later, back in the city, my doctor finds that I had an ear infection, caused by sea water staying inside my ear at night and by some scratches in the outer ear. Fast forward a few months, my tinnitus was very strong, but thanks to patience and perhaps to medication, it subsided.

It's still there, even though around 2/10 of what it was.

I have noticed a few things over the past ten years:
      • Sports and cardio activity helps.
      • Eating vegetarian helps, dairy and inflammation makes things worse on the other hand.
      • Swimming, changes in pressure, etc, don't help.
      • Massaging my jaw and the area behind my ear also help.
      Overall, for 1-2% of the time it disappears and I feel great.

I love music and I am an audiophile - and I have very sensitive hearing (I hear things and sounds most people don't...). So, I've always been careful to avoid loud noises and the like.

I feel like maybe there's a way to make it go away at some point in the future.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. BIRDNAME

BIRDNAME Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow/ possible traumatic experience
      Sometimes it helps me to relax without any external sounds, except the sound of the wind, the rustle of water and singing birds. I mute the external sounds as I shift my attention to my inner focus, e.g., when I paint or learn something new. Sometimes when I start to speak, the music stops for a while, or I start screaming, I can hardly hear my tinnitus at all.

Unfortunately, I am no longer good at travelling by plane due to air pressure. Stress doesn't help either.

I hope to recover some day.

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Albert103

Albert103 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thank you - definitely wish I had the sound of the waves near me!

Where I live there's only a river, not the same, but better than nothing... :)

• Like Like x 1
    4. Hardwell

Hardwell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Hi bud, I’ve had tinnitus for around 8 years. 5 months ago it got about 10x worse which I believe was due to inflammation and then I got a subsequent ear infection. Do you know how long it took to experience some fading?

I know our situations are slightly different, I don’t know if we should treat worsenings in the same regards as we treat initial onsets of tinnitus or not.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Albert103

Albert103 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      When something like this happened in the past, trying to avoid foods that cause inflammation, and loud noises, it could be weeks/months. Also, exercise helps, I found. I used to take some supplements too, although that's more art than science...

• Like Like x 1