Screaming Tinnitus After Tympanomastoidectomy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Aaron777, Mar 30, 2024.

1. Aaron777

Aaron777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone. My name is Aaron. I have had what I call manageable tinnitus my whole life. Maybe because I've never known life without it?

Anyways, I had a tympanomastoidectomy surgery where they removed a growth/tumor behind my eardrum, as well as several cholesteatomas, and the incus bone from my ear.

To say that I now have screaming tinnitus would be an understatement. While it isn't as bad as about a week after surgery, it is still unbearable. There are about 7 different extremely high pitched tones as well as what I would describe as a head piercing tone.

My doctor keeps telling me it's a brain issue and to keep my stress down. Needless to say, I want to punch him at times. I have never had tinnitus this bad and if this is my new normal... yeah.

They want to do another surgery to make sure the cholesteatomas don't return and to place a prosthetic where the incus bone was.

I have read that tinnitus can be worse after this surgery, but I've also read many people say it improved. I feel like I'm the less than 2 % crowd here.

I don't know why the doctor didn't put the prosthetic in during this initial surgery.

I can barely even write this post as I'm unable to concentrate on anything it seems.

Has anyone had a similar experience after a tympanoplasty or mastoidectomy?

• Hug Hug x 8