• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Seeking Advice After Tinnitus Worsened Following SSRI Trial

JohanR

Author
May 12, 2022
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
Acoustic trauma
Hello everyone,

I've been struggling with severe tinnitus for the past three years, which I believe originated from a combination of a viral infection and noise exposure. I experience a loud ringing in both ears, along with a humming sound in my left ear.

Two weeks ago, after reading that some people found relief from their tinnitus through SSRI medications, I decided to give it a try. However, after just one tablet, I experienced severe side effects. The day after taking the SSRI, when I woke up, the volume of my tinnitus had tripled. My right ear felt like it was burning, with pain radiating down to my jaw and neck at the slightest noise. The tinnitus became unbearably loud, so I immediately stopped the medication.

Now, two weeks later, my tinnitus is still extremely intense, and it seems like I've developed some form of sound sensitivity (hyperacusis?). Even the smallest sounds cause pain in my right ear. I've been wearing earplugs to cope, but I'm unsure whether I should continue using them or start gradually exposing my ears to more sound.

Has anyone experienced similar symptoms? Should I stick with the earplugs, or would gradual sound exposure be a better approach? I never thought one pill of an SSRI could make things so much worse. Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now