Sharp Pain Followed by Sensation of Pressure: Fistula? How Can I Treat It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by haha ear go eeee, Aug 18, 2023.

1. haha ear go eeee

haha ear go eeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacusis
      I think I just got a fistula but I'm not sure.

I've had middle ear noxacusis and tinnitus for about 4 months now. Ever since my onset, I've had difficulty regulating pressure. I can't bend down to grab something without feeling like my head is going to explode and my tinnitus spikes briefly. And about a week ago, I suffered a mild barotrauma from pulling an earplug out improperly, but the symptoms resolved within 24 hours.

Just an hour ago, I was straining with my earplugs in and I felt a sharp pain in my outer ear and the side of my head. It was the same ear that was affected last week. Ever since then, I've felt a horrible pressure sensation on that side of my head. It feels worse when I lie down. My tinnitus hasn't spiked weirdly enough. But my middle ear has gotten worse, as my burning and thumping has started again.

Anyone deal with the same thing? If it is a fistula, is there a treatment for it? I'm homebound due to noxacusis right now so I can't see an ENT unfortunately.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Merlin L

Merlin L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Were you lifting heavy weights? I think there should be a blood patch treatment for a fistula, but that would require you to leave the house. The sharp pain around the ear could be trigeminal nerve getting irritated and compressed by inflamed ear muscles and/or a blood vessel putting pressure on it. I get those sharp pains in and around my ear all the time, sometimes from lying on my ear/neck or just moving/stretching the neck.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      haha ear go eeee

haha ear go eeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacusis
      This is embarrassing, but I was using the washroom lmao. It's just I have amplified symptoms now. Like awful head pressure from doing nothing, behind the eye pressure, and some increased vision blurriness. No dizziness or increased tinnitus still.

4. Merlin L

Merlin L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Long-term inflammation can cause a fistula, but I think it’s unlikely to occur from only a sound event. I know people have developed fistulas from lifting heavy weights with their earplugs in. Are your Eustachian tubes functioning properly?

I know you also have said that you have mould at your place. Is it black mould? It’s super harmful for your health and I know you’ve been dealing with different allergy issues, so that could be the likely cause, and maybe it’s also contributing to your ear symptoms? Is there a way to address the mould issue or get away from that place to see if things start improving?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      haha ear go eeee

haha ear go eeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacusis
      My Eustachian Tubes suckkkk. They haven't worked right ever. When I was a kid I had bad middle ear infections, I had to get ear tubes. Later, like five years ago, they were responsible for a couple airplane barotraumas.

You know, I'm wondering if it's intracranial hypertension? That seems a bit more plausible than a fistula.

The mold issue is definitely contributing to my health, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's affecting my ear issues. I've been sleeping in a room in my apartment for the past two weeks, and it's the dampest room. There's definitely mold in there. I'm now spending all my time in a different room and am running a air purifier and dehumidifier in the old room 24/7. I'll see if that helps. So far, it's already helping my mast cell symptoms.

6. Merlin L

Merlin L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Technically I think you should go see a doctor for blurred vision and head pressure issues. Have you been in contact with your GP? I know you’re homebound, but could you handle a doctor’s appointment (not ER)? How much sound are you able to tolerate currently?

Maybe the vestibular nerve got affected by the sound. That can cause head pressure, but also dizziness and nausea. I had a bad setback 2 months ago that affected my vestibular nerve, and I had all sorts of weird symptoms that were triggered by sounds.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      haha ear go eeee

haha ear go eeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacusis
      Not much sound, so ER is out of the question unless I wake up blind lmao. I'm trying to get in with a doctor but it's not happening fast enough. I need a referral for a neurologist like yesterday.

Weirdly enough sound doesn't bother it. It all seems to be affected by pressure.

8. MadeleineHope
      Inspired

MadeleineHope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic shock/noise-induced
      I suggest seeing an ophthalmologist, since you'll be able to get in much quicker & this is the first step in diagnosis anyway (they can catch the hypertension). Maybe you can also get your GP to refer you for a CT scan if you can tolerate getting a test done in a hospital. Aside from a very basic neurological exam (balance, reflexes) & sending you for tests like a CT, MRI, and/or spinal tap, the neurologist won't be able to do much from what I've read.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      haha ear go eeee

haha ear go eeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacusis
      Oh so a neurologist wouldn't be able to spot papilledema that occurs with intracranial hypertension?

Also, what's the difference between an ophthalmologist and an optometrist? Is the former more specialized in intracranial hypertension than the latter? Can they both spot papilledema and prescribe medication for it?

10. MadeleineHope
      Inspired

MadeleineHope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic shock/noise-induced
      Tbh, I'm not sure whether every neurologist would have the appropriate equipment; I'm thinking it might depend on who you see & where (e.g., community vs. hospital). And again, the biggest issue is time here; if the wait where you are in Canada is anything like the wait here, you're looking at about half a year. Whereas for an ophthalmologist it should be much shorter.

Optometrists definitely have the equipment & I'm pretty sure most if not all ophthalmologists do too, because they specialize in the eyes. An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor specializing in the eyes, whereas an optometrist is not an MD. I'm not sure whether an optometrist would be able to prescribe medication in this case, but to be honest, I'd feel more comfortable going to an ophthalmologist for something as serious as this. You could also see an optometrist if you want to see someone asap, & then follow-up with an MD if needed/wanted.

Hope this helps,
      Maddy