Should I Be Wearing Earplugs Outside the House?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Annika1884, May 1, 2018.

1. Annika1884

Annika1884 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Not sure if I need to wear earplugs everyday.

Many thanks.

Sarah

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. It all depends on how stable your ears are. If you are still having trouble with sensitive ears when more loud noises can cause spikes or ear fullness, then yes you need to protect as much as possible. If your ears are stable and T is managable, then perhaps protect only for loud venues and keep the plugs off for normal ambient sounds of the environment you are in. That will help the ears to harden to everyday noises. Over protection can lead to sound sensitivity. So use prudence and only you know your ears the best. Take care. God bless.

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You should ask a professional about it: it depends on many aspects of your hearing.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It’s a very broad question and it really depends on what you are doing outside the house? And is the area where you live inherently noisy? If the answer is no to the second question and you’re not going to be using any noisy machinery or power tools, or something along those lines, then I’d say the answer is no. Your ears are not designed to be continually blocked off. If there is no immediate risk then I see no reason to plug up your ears.

You can’t go wrong with professional advice as Greg has pointed out.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      It is a good idea to protect your ears. Over protecting can possibly lead to fear, paranoia, OCDs and even hyperacusis. You make your own choices, I just shared my view :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      In other words, don’t just plug your ears for the sake of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you are walking along side a road where there are trucks and motorcycles, then you might consider wearing earplugs.

If you are at a place where doors are being slammed often, you will want to wear earplugs. I am often happy about wearing earplugs inside of supermarkets and big stores.

But if you are walking in a park, it ought to be ok to not wear any ear protection.

Wear earplugs for a week, note whether or not there are noises that make you happy about wearing earplugs, and continue wearing earplugs at that place where you encountered those noises, and stop wearing earplugs at all other places (but have muffs handy, in case a fire alarm goes off).

• Like Like x 1
    9. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Gabriel5050 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (most likely)
      In the next few weeks I will have to go outside. I wanted to revive a thread like this to ask how people approach wearing protection while going outside in the city. Places like offices, malls, banks, the usual.

I for one thought using foam plugs for commuting and musician plugs in the buildings where I need to communicate with people.

What do you guys think?

10. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; likely noise-induced
      I have only used foam earplugs, so I can only speak to their use. Musician's earplugs are something I am considering investing in though.

As long as people are talking in a normal tone of voice, you can generally hear them if you are close enough. The earplugs do well to block out all of the noises you might encounter say if you're in a supermarket.

Unfortunately, I generally dislike wearing them as when you have less external stimulus, the phantom noise gets louder. If you intend to visit loud places, however, you should protect your ears.

• Like Like x 2
    11. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      I've been wearing foam plugs for the last few months and the custom ear molds for about a month. The custom ear molds are harder to put in the ear, so it's not as convenient. There are still times when I place them in and I wonder if they are sitting correctly. They also have interchangeable filters. I placed the musician filter in the molds before I went out last week and there was a loud sound in proximity to me on two occasions. I was glad I had them in, but wondered if the protection was adequate.

You get used to wearing both types of ear protection over time. Prior to my acoustic trauma, I had never worn ear plugs, shame I know. Now, I wear them any time I leave the house as I'm just a few months in and I've had several incidents of loud noise without any warning.

I do think if I were to go to a concert or movie, neither one would be adequate for protection for extremely loud sounds. I would look into an ear muff. These are all my non professional observations acquired over the last few months to protect myself. I have asked a lot of questions. Two out of three doctors never mentioned the need to wear ear protection. The audiologist who made my ear molds did not know the level of protection from the custom molds (my pet peeve in the world of professionals, know your product!).

Best to you!
      twa

• Like Like x 1
    12. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I don't wear earplugs anytime I leave the house. I do wear them with loud sound exposure is expected, but that is sometimes hard to predict.

• Like Like x 1