Sparking Innovations in Tinnitus Research: ATA and BTA Partner Up for a Joint Event

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Barbara777, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Barbara777

Barbara777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2015
      Apparently the American Tinnitus Association (ATA) and the British Tinnitus Association (BTA) are partnering up to progress towards a cure for tinnitus.

They will be hosting a joint event in San Jose, California on January 25-29, 2020 to coincide with the Association for Research in Otolaryngology 43rd MidWinter Meeting. The ATA and BTA hope that this event sparks discussion about new avenues in tinnitus research, as well as promoting possible multi-disciplinary partnerships.

The event is sponsored by Neuromod which I fear might be questionable as it's a commercial for-profit company. Clearly, Neuromod isn't doing this out of kindness; they are wanting their Lenire treatment noticed by the leading tinnitus experts. However, sponsored events such as this is the norm in the healthcare industry so it's probably nothing to worry about.

There will be some famous names attending the event:
      • Carol Bauer, MD, of Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
      • Fatima Husain, PhD, of the University of Illinois
      • M. Charles Liberman of Harvard
      • Joseph Rauschecker, PhD, DSc, University of Georgetown Medical School
      • Grant Searchfield, PhD, University of Auckland, Auckland, NZ
      • Susan Shore, PhD, of the Kresge Hearing Research Institute at the University of Michigan.
      • Other attendees will include members of the ATA’s Scientific Advisory Committee, which reviews seed grants to fund research aimed at discovering the underlying mechanisms of tinnitus.

MORE INFORMATION:

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...sion-About-Potential-Tinnitus-Breakthrou.html

• Informative Informative x 8
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      tenor.gif

3. LostOutWest
      Not amused

LostOutWest Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for sharing the details about this event. I live in Palo Alto, so this is just a few miles away. Maybe I’ll attend, and report back to the forum.

This is a true meeting of the tinnitus glitterati. Whose autograph to get first?!!!???

4. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      It would be awesome if you could attend. Please let us know if this is indeed the case :)

You could do a great service to the community by typing up a report or blog post that we can publish. And don't forget to take photographs!

5. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Call me cynical but this sounds like a nice opportunity for staff at the BTA to use their research funds to spend part of January at a conference in sunny California. Might be nicer than freezing Sheffield...

If actual research progress comes about as a result then it might just be worth it, but given the past track records of the ATA and BTA we won't be holding our breath...

6. LostOutWest
      Not amused

LostOutWest Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Absolutely. I will certainly let you know and would be happy to capture information and share. I may have to travel to Ireland that week, but otherwise I’m keen to attend.

• Like Like x 1
    7. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      @Barbara777

This is posted on ATA's Facebook page. Looks like ATA sponsored a 'networking event' at ARO. I suspect this could be the ATA/BTA sponsored joint event that was underwritten by Neuromod. Do you have any additional info?

Thanks, TC

Anyone have an impression of Cederroth and his research?

'Heartfelt congratulations to Dr. Chris Cederroth for receiving the Association for Research in Otolaryngology (ARO) Young Investigator’s Award, which was announced tonight. Chris was a featured speaker at the ATA's "Tinnitus and Big Data" researcher networking event last night where he reported on his observations of tinnitus and how we should use big data in research. Looking forward to watching his career grow!'

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      First ever joint networking meeting a real success

The British Tinnitus Association (BTA) and the American Tinnitus Association (ATA) hosted our first ever joint networking event on Saturday at the Annual Midwinter Meeting of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology (ARO) in San Jose. And the general feeling was that the meeting was a real success.

We had just under 50 delegates there, who represented a really good cross-section of the field. We had industry in the form of pharma and biotechs as well as manufacturers. We had tinnitus researchers, of course, and within that group we had both senior and new researchers to the specialty. We also had other researchers from the wider otolaryngology arena present, as well as some funders.

Event attendees
      There were some fruitful interactions and discussions in the networking section of the event, before our speakers took to the floor. The theme of the evening was "Big Data" and we were very pleased to welcome:
      • Christopher Cederroth from the Karolinska Institute, who spoke on "Tinnitus, Big Data and Genetics"
      • Will Sedley from Newcastle University, who discussed "Tinnitus, Big Data and Objective Measures"
      • Gary Curhan, from Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Public Health, whose presentation looked at "Tinnitus, Epidemiology and Big Data"
      The talks went really well, too, and were certainly well received. There was some great engagement and discussion afterwards.

The feedback from the event has been universally strong and everyone agreed that it offered the opportunity to showcase tinnitus research, the BTA and the ATA in a different light. We are hoping that we can do this again in future years, building and developing the event so that it becomes a notable diary date for the ARO Annual Midwinter Meetings going forward.

I would also like to thank Neuromod for sponsoring this inaugural event. I am looking forward to working to turn this meeting into something that's a more permanent fixture in the calendar.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      Hi Autumnly, Thanks so much for posting this. From the looks of the pictures on BTA's website it looks like everyone had a great time and Torynn Brazell and David Stockdale have become close friends. If you come across any real content from the event, please let us know. Best Regards, TC

GetImage.jpg

Torryn Brazell (ATA) and David Stockdale (BTA)

10. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Yes let’s see some action...

How are you @TuxedoCat? x

11. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Yes this has all the appearances of a corporate jolly - a nice few days in the Californian sunshine for the BTA delegates, with a nebulous topic in Big Data and little actual innovative research being done.

I see Neuromod were sponsors but it would be interesting to know whether they paid for the whole thing or whether charity funds were also used.

12. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I thought it was useful to download and to release here the abstracts' compilation before it disappears from the ARO website for any reason.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1