Spike After Going to Mechanic (Big Metal Hammer, Power Drill/Impact Wrench Sounds)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Eric N, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      Yesterday I went to my mechanic but it was unusually noisy this time, they were hammering on the disc brakes of a car with a big metal hammer plus the power drill/impact wrench sounds when screwing the tires back. I don't know how these people are not going deaf doing this day after day without any hearing protection.

I was in the waiting room - which is separated by a glass wall from the garage - and I had my earmuffs on the entire time, I also left when I felt it was a bit uncomfortable, yet I somehow still managed to get a spike! Just unbelievable!

2. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi Eric,

I can see that your tinnitus was worsened by MRI. How long does it take you to recover from that?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm still waiting to recover unfortunately and it doesn't look like I ever will, it has gotten a bit better overall though. It's actually the same tone that spiking right now is the one that was caused by the MRI a relapse is very possible.

4. BrStan@

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Same with me Eric N, I also had MRI 3 days ago and my tinnitus got out of control again. I don't call it spike as I know further damage been done already and that is permanent increase. My tinnitus was already very loud and reactive and was spiking a lot for no reason but I was habituated to it. I was living in fear that this day will come and I will have a further increase and it came. I don't think habituation is possible as my tinnitus was increasing during the years and always have to habituate. I have been here on Tinnitus Talk before but as I can see nothing changed treatment wise, still nothing. I have never taken any drugs before for my tinnitus but this time has now come I think I will relay on meds for know on as my condition is already very bad.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Let's hope Lenire works, life is very very difficult with this condition. A treatment needs to be found.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There's a rare occurrence where I may need to be around or use an impact driver with my job (new equipment commissioning) where multi million dollar laboratory equipment is shipped in large wooden crates that are put together with tons of 8" lag bolts. I really don't know what to do in the situation where it's needed. The few times in the past I just deferred the task to riggers, but that's not always an option. Those things are LOUD, loud enough that they are still bothersome even with double protection.

7. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      My goal is to habituate. Every time I habituate life is okay. I would love better treatments or a cure. Been waiting 30 years.

8. Willysolman
      Aggressive

Willysolman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown maybe shout in ear
      I think you will be fine, I think it is just an emotion spike, and you were wearing earmuffs and had a glass wall in between.

9. BrStan@

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yes I am jealous to the newbies who just got it and they have plenty of opportunities and time to habituate. I have had tinnitus for 20 years and had many increases in loudness, but also habituations. But it is getting harder and harder with time. We need a treatment that works.

• Agree Agree x 1