The Difference Between Plugging Both Ears and One Ear — Barely vs. Definitely Hearing Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zeneth, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      So I have mild acoustic trauma induced T. I'm 13, and the only thing I'm worried about is that if it gets worse... Anyways, I have T in both of my ears but it's worse in my right ear, and when I plug both of my ears at once, sometimes I can barely hear the T or barely hear it at all. When I just plug one ear at once I can most definitely hear it.. I'm just wondering if this is normal or why it happens.

Thanks!

2. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      IMO plugging your ears isnt an accurate way to tell where your T is at. I think plenty of people without T get T if they plug their ears due to air pressure changes, or pressure on the auditory nerve. Likewise some poeple with T if they plug their ears hard enough they can silence it temporary, again because of air pressure(or lack of) ad pinching the auditory never.
      just a theory.

3. martinberryhorse

martinberryhorse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 5, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One hard cough
      Might be a lack of contrast with outside sound that causes it to be hard to hear the tinnitus with both ears plugged.

4. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      There's an entire field of neurology that would love to know why you have tinnitus at an "adjustment" to volume. There seems to be many sorts of tinnitus one in silence and one in noise and they probably have differing pathology.

We know more about eyes than ears. We pretend to know lots about the ear but neurotology is still blistering with questions.