The Selective Torture of Tinnitus — and How to Stop It

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ecip, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
    2. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Sounds like a blend of meditation and self-hypnosis. He starts with setting up the meditative part, then explains the "mind over matter" concept.

Excerpt:
      Focus your entire attention on the sound of your tinnitus. For the first several minutes, just maintain this focus. If you find your mind drifting, gently bring it back to the sound. Hopefully, you will slowly find yourself deeply relaxed into a meditative state. See if you can find variations in the sound. If you listen carefully, you may find there are multiple tones or noises. Explore this with a mindset of genuine curiosity.

Next, while still focusing on the sound, imagine that there is a large volume knob in front of you that controls the volume of the sound. Imagine yourself playing with the volume knob, turning it up and down. You may be as surprised as I was to find, that the volume of the sound can be affected. Sometimes I imagine a large on/off switch as well and mentally flip it up and down. Now imagine that there is a second knob right next to the volume that controls the tone of the sound. Imagine yourself turning this knob as well. I was amazed to find that I can temporarily lower and raise the frequency of the tones of my tinnitus by doing this. Continue to focus on the sound until your timer goes off.

More at the website. Part 1, and Part 2.

He's selling his own products, but there is some useful information on his site. I will note that any time I've tried to focus on the tinnitus sounds as a way of somehow defusing its power, it gets worse. Like anything else with tinnitus coping methods, this technique might work for some people and for others it won't be helpful.

• Like Like x 1