The Thing About Finding a Cure...

Discussion in 'Support' started by shreddAr87, Nov 15, 2015.

1. shreddAr87

shreddAr87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music...history of anxiety/depression...earplugs idk
      Been thinking a lot today. They need to officially delegate T subsets. Like sshl T, age related hearing loss T, and cumulative noise exposure/inner ear degredation T. Imo that would mean two different treatments. One for sudden onset/acute treatment and one for age related hearing loss/cumulative noise exposure in other words chronic T. So the question is which treatment would make the most money for big pharma. Imo it would be treatment for chronic T. Were talking about an average of 24000 usd people are willing to pay for definitive treatment. What do you guys think?

My point is that they are going to be completely different treatments for acute and chronic. One will come before the other. It would seem they are closer to finding treatment for acute T considering recent findings with ritagamine and other epilepsy drugs all of which aim to prevent T from happening in the first place. On other words we have all missed the boat by a long shot...were talking years and years if ever that they would devise treatment for chronic T. Unless they shift their research attention with the aim towards Chronic T which I guess is possible since it would probably be a wiser investment monetary wise

2. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      You're looking for a drug, but I think you, like so many people on this site, are searching in vain.

Seems to me, reading these posts, that so many people with tinnitus are looking for that a drug. Tinnitus is typically due to hearing loss - destroyed cochlear hair cells. Are drugs going to bring those dead cells back to life? The only thing I can think of that will bring dead cochlear hair cells back to life are stem cells - in principle. I suppose, that "in theory", stem cells could re-generate new cochlear hair cells - but this is being somewhat futuristic, isn't it?

Having had tinnitus for 4 hears, I've learned that the brain adapts. "Good" hearing versus "bad" hearing is a relative thing, and the brain is able to adjust - if you let it. Just let the primitive brain do it's thing, and it will work things out with time.

I have found benefit from hearing aids. It seems almost counter intuitive that hearing aids work, but for 80%-90%, they do. That's because they make your brain think it is hearing normally again. It's that simple.

Stick it with it and you'll feel better when your brain adjusts.

• Like Like x 1