Tinnitus Awareness on My National News Page!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rainbowsheep, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Rainbowsheep
      Cheerful

Rainbowsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music, I suppose
      Skærmbillede 2018-08-10 kl. 21.13.06.png

So I discovered this while I was searching through the news.

It's an article about a boy who got tinnitus after a very loud rock concert. The title roughly translates to "webdoc: when the ringing moved into Adam's head" for those of you who do not speak Danish (which probably most of you do not, hah).

Anyhow it just made me happy to see an article about tinnitus on our national news page. And it is a great article as well. It not only tells the story of how Adam got tinnitus so severe that he couldn't really do anything for months. It also contains information about what tinnitus is, why it is important to protect one's ears from loud noise if one wants to prevent noise induced tinnitus and so on. And luckily it also tells the story of how Adam was slowly able to get back to the life he used to live. Only now he protects his ears from loud noise.

But. I guess the point of all this is that I am happy that tinnitus finally gets a little attention from the mainstream medias here in Denmark. It's a small step for tinnitus awareness, but it sure is a step in the right direction. And hopefully many more articles about tinnitus and how to prevent it is to come in the future!

• Like Like x 3
    2. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Yet is he the same or does it still affect him/torment him? Does it stress that the tinnitus never left him? That it is forever? This is important as it may be viewed by others as something that always goes away.

Can you provide a link to the story? Thanks.

3. xCyborg
      Frustrated

xCyborg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones/Noise? Prolonged Stress/D? TMJ/Neck/Head?
      link please

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Did his T fade?

5. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      It's a tad annoying when these news outlets make T out to be something that can just disappear over time so easily. I guess people will just ignore it since you can just "get back to normal life in a few months". It just doesn't work like that, and it is just not that easy.

• Agree Agree x 4
    6. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I'm thinking of a television ad that goes ...

-

"Do you want to hear THIS for the rest of your life?"

[Multiple, loud, high-pitched sounds play for 10 seconds.]

"PROTECT YOUR EARS"

"This message brought to you by the American Tinnitus Association"

-

• Like Like x 1
    7. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      Problem with lot of these ads is usually the fact that they use good looking, well rested actors telling you about Tinnitus the same way, they would tell you about the "hardships" of not having the right data plan.

The best type of Tinnitus awareness ad would be a pale, shaking shell of a person strapped to a bed at a psych ward, or some graphic images of Tinnitus suicides...
      The sad reality is, that if you want to capture people's attention these days, they need to be shocked...it's human nature.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    8. Lasse S

Lasse S Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
    9. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Well said!
      Unfortunately it’s just another one of those: It was horrible for a few months but I’m now back to living my life as before!

This, all over again, makes tinnitus as nothing to worry about and it doesn’t help the awareness at all (at least for us that are not in a lucky group) :(

• Agree Agree x 1