Tinnitus Due to Loud Music — Headphones, Band Rehearsals, Concerts

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by davidmp, Jan 8, 2020.

1. davidmp

davidmp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss / Possible Trauma in concert
      Unfortunately, same old story. I was diagnosed with some hearing loss around 2015, being by then 41, high frequencies, I have no problem on hearing conversations, music and so on, not life intrusive.

My tinnitus then most likely comes from all those years of excessive volume on headphones while commuting, band rehearsals (guitar player), attending to concerts without ear protection and other stupidities. I actually didn't have anything until this past July, after a Metallica concert I attended in Moscow without ear protection (I had started to used it since 3 years) got a bit of shhhhhhhhhh, and now since one month it is permanent and a bit louder. Most times it is just annoying, can make normal life, but it sucks and I have to concentrate for sleeping.

I will visit an ENT soon and see what I get as an answer, probably the most common "there is no cure, you have to live with it".

I try to make a healthy life, no alcohol, low to moderate coffee intake and exercise to keep my mood up, try to get good sleep with melatonin, and use ear protection when I feel I need it (and probably avoid live rock shows). But most important I am trying not to be demoralized by the condition, I truly think I have a lot of amazing things to enjoy yet in life to give up for this.

I have read the forum this week, I see there is some kind of hope with the bimodal neuromodulation devices, and maybe if people respond positively to the treatment I will make an attempt, but I don't want to be tricked by any unscrupulous company trying to sell snake oil thanks to others' misery.

Anyway, happy new year to everybody and hope this is the year we get a cure.

2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      this is clearly noise damage. Staying away from coffee, alcohol, certain food will have zero effect on it unfortunately, you may as well enjoy life and get used to it until we have FX-233. Stay away from noise thats about it

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      davidmp

davidmp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, that FX-322 product seems promising, but let´s see what happens in Phase 2 tests and FDA approval. Also I live in Europe, I believe the drug wouldn't be automatically approved here so I´d have to wait even more time :(

4. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Been on a break from live music since my tinnitus went through the roof over the summer.

I have an invitation for a band reunion in the pipeline. Not a loud band, just to do a few songs at a one-off event.

Hoping to give it a try.

• Like Like x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      davidmp

davidmp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe with protection you can do it anyway?

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Tinnitus and stress can possibly feed off each other. I'd limit coffee, liquor and anything diet wise that can possibly, put stress on the body and mind. Tinnitus is such a delicate ordeal that many things can possibly annoy it. Having a good diet can be a benefit for the body,mind and possibly your tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Samuel Greene

Samuel Greene Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio Mixing, Music, Firecrackers
      >> I truly think I have a lot of amazing things to enjoy yet in life to give up for this.
      That is the attitude that works for me. I found that just accepting it and trying to move on has been my only cure so far.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1