Tinnitus for 6 Years, Recently Spiked to Moderate/Intense After a Period of Stress/Swollen Ear

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by CarlosR, Sep 2, 2024.

1. CarlosR

CarlosR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud noises/Ear infection
      Hello, I'm Carlos, a 48-year-old business owner living in Lima, Peru. I've had mild tinnitus since 2018 after a weekend at the beach followed by an ear infection. Although I could hear the tinnitus all the time, it didn’t really bother me. However, last month, after a stressful period, I developed a swollen ear, which led to a significant increase in the volume of the tinnitus. It became extremely loud for about a week and a half before settling to a moderate intensity, with occasional severe spikes.

I suspect my tinnitus is mostly somatic, as I can increase its intensity by opening my mouth wide or turning my head. I also have a mild buzzing in my right ear. My ENT doctor prescribed Gingko Biloba, a muscle relaxant, and Betahistine for a month. I’m currently in the third week of treatment but have seen little improvement so far.

Overall, I can still carry on with my life despite this setback, but my main struggle is getting to sleep at night and staying asleep. I’m hopeful that I’ll find some help and support on this forum to adapt and improve my situation, and I also hope to provide help and support to others in a similar state.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hello @CarlosR.

You have been dealing with noise-induced tinnitus for quite some time, and it's commendable that you've managed it well. There are three primary reasons why this type of tinnitus may spike or increase in severity. The first is further exposure to loud noise, including listening to audio through headphones, even at low volume. While some people with noise-induced tinnitus are not affected by headphone use, many are. I strongly advise against taking the risk of using headphones, earbuds, or headsets.

Noise-induced tinnitus can also worsen with stress, so it's important to keep stress under control. Additionally, some medications may exacerbate this type of tinnitus.

It's essential to avoid exposure to overly loud sounds, but this doesn't mean you should overuse hearing protection, as that could potentially worsen the tinnitus. Nor does it mean you should avoid normal everyday sounds in your environment or feel the need to run for cover at the slightest loud sound when you're out and about. This approach is not conducive to enjoying life.

If you are experiencing hyperacusis or any oversensitivity to sound, I suggest you read my thread: "Hyperacusis, As I See It."

All the best,
      Michael

Hyperacusis, As I See It | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

3. Tim Moore

Tim Moore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 5, 2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert - Def Leppard @ Fenway Park
      Hi @Michael Leigh,

I’ve been reading through your posts and have found them incredibly helpful and informative, so first of all—thank you for sharing your insights!

I was wondering if I could message you directly, but since I’m new here, I’m not sure how to do that.

I’ve been in a state of panic for the past 4.5 weeks, and I joined the forum due to tinnitus that developed in my left ear after a very loud concert on August 5th. Since then, I’ve been searching non-stop for solutions and reading extensively, though I’m starting to worry that all the research might be affecting my mental health. I can’t shake the feeling that my life is over because of this.

I’m starting CBT tomorrow, but I’m also curious about TRT. I visited an audiologist, but the TRT sessions cost $250 (USD) each, and unfortunately, they’re not covered by insurance. At least CBT is partially covered here in the US, which is a relief, but TRT would be entirely out of pocket.

I’ve also been using earplugs frequently, but I think they might be increasing my sensitivity, so I’m considering cutting back on their use. Additionally, I’ve been playing relaxing sounds through my Apple EarPods at the lowest volume, though I’m concerned that this might be making things worse.

I’ve noticed that my anxiety and worry are at their worst when I wake up in the morning. I’ve tried sleeping with an air conditioner on, which doesn’t seem to help, and I’ve also tried sleeping in complete silence, which is how I slept before this all started. While I prefer the silence, it seems to intensify my anxiety in the morning. To add to that, I work from home, and my house is extremely quiet during the day.

Sorry for the long message, but I’d love to hear your thoughts on TRT and whether there are any elements of it that I can try on my own. I’m also interested in any advice you might have regarding the other things I’ve been doing. Thank you so much, Michael!

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Tim Moore.

Thank you for your kind comments.

I'm sorry to hear you're currently struggling with tinnitus. For those who are new to tinnitus, like yourself, I don't recommend starting any long-term treatments, such as CBT or TRT, too early on. This is just my personal opinion and not professional medical advice. My reasons are detailed in "Tinnitus: A Personal View" and in my TRT posts, which you can find in the threads I've started.

I correspond with many people beyond Tinnitus Talk who are affected by tinnitus.

Please click on the link below to read my thread: New to Tinnitus: What to Do?

All the best,
      Michael

New to Tinnitus, What to Do? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

• Like Like x 1
    5. Furetto

Furetto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2020 cervical [100% habituated]. 07/24 Drumming [ongoing].
      Hello Tim,

Just a few words of support. Please bear in mind that:
      • Spending hours researching
      • Being super stressed and obsessed
      • Thinking your life is over
      These are stages that almost everyone with tinnitus experiences in the beginning. The first few months are the hardest, but know that almost everyone goes through them.

The good news is...

The vast majority of people with sound-induced tinnitus return to a normal life within a certain period of time. Whether that period is three months or two years, no one can say for sure, as everyone is different. (One month in "tinnitus time" is practically nothing. It's unlikely you'll notice any significant improvements before months 3–4.) However, if you read the success stories on Tinnitus Talk, you'll see a pattern. Even in the worst cases, where people couldn't even leave their homes, after some time they all say, "I don't even think about it now. I never imagined this was possible, but I'm back to normal and happy."

This happens because either the tinnitus fades away, or your brain learns to filter it out.

For everyone, the protocol is the same: TPP — Time, Patience, Protection. Some supplements might help the process, and mindfulness meditation can assist with managing stress and habituation.

Please note that recovery is non-linear. As @Michael Leigh says, "One day, you may feel like you've turned a corner, and the next day, you might feel like you're back to square one. This is not uncommon." This is exactly what I'm experiencing at month two.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Tim Moore

Tim Moore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 5, 2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you so much, @Furetto! Your positivity and words of encouragement are truly helpful, and we definitely need more of that around here.

I read about your situation and feel like our tinnitus sounds might be similar. There are times when I can't even tell if I can hear it—usually after 2-3 p.m. and into the rest of the night. I can generally sleep in silence, but lately, I've found that the window air conditioner bothers me. Silence or light nature sounds are more comfortable, but I’m still full of anxiety and haven’t been able to sleep through the night for a while.

About a week ago, I did some online hearing tests, which I now think might have been a mistake. I used Apple AirPods, and since then, my ear has been a little more sensitive, though I’m hoping that will fade. The good news is that the test (using the ReSound app) indicated I don't have any hearing loss, whereas prior tests said I did.

I'm currently taking Ginkgo biloba, fish oil, vitamins B-12 and D, Magnesium, and Zinc. I’m thinking of adding NAC or St. John’s Wort as a natural anxiety reducer—hopefully, that helps!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      HiFrq ~2000, Increased 2022, LoFrq ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise - clubs, stereos, cycles, headphones, engines,etc
      Not only is habituation non-linear, but it's probably impossible for people with variable severe and catastrophic tinnitus. But if your tinnitus is mild to moderate, you may get used to it over time, or it may even reduce if you had a sudden noise trauma, infection, or medication-related incident rather than unrecoverable permanent hearing loss. Also, habituation can go in reverse, as it has for me and many others whose tinnitus slowly worsens over a period of years. I explained in more detail here:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/posts/713925/

8. Furetto

Furetto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You’re very welcome, Tim! We need more positivity and success stories around here! I'm so fed up with all the doom and gloom.

In the beginning, I used ocean or rain sounds to help me sleep, but then I discovered that cricket sounds work best for me. Even at the lowest volume, the right frequency masks my tinnitus completely, and I sleep through the night like a baby. This is actually the advice I wanted to give to @CarlosR in the first place.

I experimented with different cricket sounds, and the best one I found for me is this:

Tinnitus Zapper 2 with Crickets and 13 kHz...

But yours may vary, of course. Sometimes, when my tinnitus seems louder and has bothered me during the evening, I play that track, and it’s such a relief! I keep it at a barely perceptible level while watching TV or browsing, and it mutes the tinnitus.

Unfortunately, I can always hear my tinnitus unless it's masked by other noises or when I’m playing video games. It’s crazy—the moment I launch a game, it becomes completely quiet, even if the sound effects are low or there’s not much sound at that moment. As soon as I get up to go to the bathroom, by the time I get there, I start hearing it again. It’s really mind-boggling.

I’m not a doctor, but I would advise against doing self-hearing tests. Some people have damaged their hearing by doing exactly that. If you want to take one, have it done by a professional. Hearing aid shops might offer free hearing tests, or you can get one prescribed by your doctor.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. KaiT81
      Depressed

KaiT81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'll take this advice for myself, too! It's really well-written and well-summarized. I particularly like this part: "For everyone, the protocol is the same: TPP—Time, Patience, Protection."

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Furetto

Furetto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for the kind words! That sentence isn't mine; I actually read it here :)

I really need a lot of patience right now because, after a good last week of August, the first few days of September have been much harder. :(

• Hug Hug x 2
    11. KaiT81
      Depressed

KaiT81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I can completely empathize with you. I had a lot of good days in August, sometimes several in a row. However, the first week of September has been really tough, with only two good days so far—one of which is today! :)

I think we just have to hang in there. I know how hard that can be sometimes, or even most of the time!

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Furetto

Furetto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, one of the advantages—but also challenges—of working from home and living alone is that while it’s comfortable and allows me to take care of myself, it also means I’m often stuck in a quiet environment, boxed in my own thoughts all day. Sometimes, it can be tough, with no distractions. You end up constantly checking if it's getting louder or quieter, instead of engaging with colleagues or customers. But thank goodness for YouTube, crickets, and Baldur’s Gate 3! Those are my escapes.

Anyway, in the worst-case scenario, the Susan Shore Device is expected to be released within the next 1-3 years. So, even if it doesn't fade away on its own, it’s not going to be a lifelong condition. If necessary, we’ll organize a European Tinnitus Talk trip to the US and get it together. It’ll be fun—just like a school trip!

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Knietppe

Knietppe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Amitriptyline
      Count me in! If it works, I'll pay for the treatment for five people!

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CarlosR

CarlosR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud noises/Ear infection
      Thanks for the Dalesnale video. My main tinnitus frequency is around 12 to 14 kHz, and it can partially mask the sound. My tinnitus, which is in the moderate range, is especially bothersome at night when I'm trying to sleep. I'll see if this helps me.

15. Furetto

Furetto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Start saving the money!

16. Furetto

Furetto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There are countless different frequency cricket sounds on YouTube. Try them out and see which one perfectly masks your tinnitus. I play one at a very low volume—so low that I almost don’t hear it—but it masks mine almost as if it doesn’t exist.

However, for habituation, they say to never mask the sound completely. Keep it at a level where you can still barely hear the ringing.

Hopefully, in a few months, we’ll all be out of the woods.

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. KaiT81
      Depressed

KaiT81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I completely understand. Working from home is both a curse and a blessing, especially in our current situation. But it’s helpful if you can keep working. At least, that’s what my tinnitus counselor always tells me, because it signals to your brain that the tinnitus isn’t that threatening, and over time, it fades into the background.

I, for example, can't go to work right now. I’m suffering so much from the ringing in my ears, along with anxiety, depression, and insomnia.

It’s great that there are activities that completely distract you from the ringing and help you block it out. I can’t do that this time—at least not on the bad days.

I had tinnitus once before as a teenager, and I remember how much it stressed me out, especially in the evenings and at night. I would play music loudly just to fall asleep. Unlike today, however, I could still sleep restfully through the night, go to school, and carry on with life as normal for the most part. After a few months, I paid less and less attention to the ringing, and eventually, it disappeared completely.

Hang in there—you’re on the right track. You’ll make it, and I’m sure you’ll feel much better in a few weeks or months.

18. Tim Moore

Tim Moore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 5, 2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've been playing the video you posted above, and it's been helping me sleep a bit better! I do have some mild high-frequency hearing loss in my left ear, so it's a bit harder to hear the cricket sounds in that ear. I guess they say that for sound therapy to work, we actually need to be able to hear it, right?

So, I think I'll have to adjust to sleeping on my right side so my left ear is more exposed. Hopefully, that'll do the trick!

19. Furetto

Furetto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling right now. However, please take a look at the success stories section, where you'll find plenty of people who were homebound for a year, described their tinnitus as a 10/10 or worse, and later shared success stories saying it's almost gone, or they barely notice it anymore. Specifically, check for stories from people who have the same cause as you.

You've been through this before, and the good thing is that you already know the process. It drives us all crazy for a few months, but then you'll be fine. Everyone faces exceptional health challenges at some point, and this one is ours. We've overcome it once, and we will do it again, with the advantage that this time, we already have techniques and experience.

All inflammations in the body take months to resolve. Over the years, I've had inflammations that lasted months in my shoulder, prostate (the urologist even said, "Let's meet again after two years!"), fingers, epididymis, ribs, and shoulder blades. Last year, I couldn't ride my scooter for longer than 10 minutes without stabbing pain in my shoulder blade. Even pushing a shopping cart hurt after a while. I even saw a spine surgeon. Then one day, I just realized... wait, it's gone. And it never came back. It's going to be the same for your ears.

Today, I was at the dentist and told him about my condition before he started drilling. He said his girlfriend has it too, after being accidentally elbowed in the ear, but he reassured me, "Don't worry, yours will be gone in six months." We tend to read about extreme cases, and it can brainwash us into thinking that's the norm, but it really isn't.

Also, I read that crickets mask your tinnitus completely. Can you use that sound as your "safe space"?

If you're feeling seriously anxious or depressed, there's no harm in taking a light dose of Alprazolam to help you cope. For example, I took 10 drops this morning. I've occasionally taken it for jet lag or very stressful situations, and I've never had any side effects. Of course, everyone responds differently. Some people can’t even sleep all night if they drink a Coca-Cola, so it's best to talk to your GP about it.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Furetto

Furetto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm glad my suggestion helped you feel better!

You might want to try listening to different cricket sounds over several nights to see which one works best for you.

There are hundreds of options to choose from, so I'm sure with a bit of trial and error, you'll find the perfect one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. KaiT81
      Depressed

KaiT81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I think I've read almost all of them, but thank you for your advice. I haven't come across any success stories where people mentioned being on sick leave for a year, but it reassures me to know that it's common with our condition.
      It's true that everyone has a cross to bear, often hidden from others. Sometimes, I wonder if God has given me a burden too heavy to carry. But you're right—we've made it through before, and hopefully, we'll do it again this time.
      That's really kind and very encouraging. I hope you're right.
      That would be the best possible outcome if it disappears completely after a while—for both you and me!
      Sometimes, it's not just about finding a "safe space" for me, but about anything that keeps me from sinking into a very dark place, falling into the depths of depression, and staying there. However, I’ve grown to dislike sound enrichment, especially masking, because it constantly reminds me that I have tinnitus and that I haven't fully learned to cope with it yet.

22. Furetto

Furetto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There's this story (I think it's called From Hell to Paradise) about a guy who couldn't leave his room for over a year and had to eat only liquid food because the sound of chewing caused him pain. He was even in a mental hospital for a while. Now, he's partying in Mexico and has gotten his life back.

There's also the story of a girl who described her tinnitus as 11/10 for a year after being exposed to the sound of a jackhammer in a tunnel, and now it's completely gone. Search for their stories! :)

One way or another, better days are coming!

Love from Italy!

• Like Like x 1
    23. KaiT81
      Depressed

KaiT81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Are you traveling right now? Have a nice vacation!
      I'll have another look, although I've actually already read everything in the Success Stories and The Positivity Thread.

There's also so much negativity here. Something I really don't need right now. I actually wanted to start my own thread, but I don't dare because I don't know what will be posted in there.

If you have any tips on good threads or tinnitus counselors, please let me know!

24. Furetto

Furetto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am creating an Excel file that compiles stories of people who were suffering greatly and then healed. I might eventually put it online. I'm not traveling; I’m Italian. My profile says Latvia because I was living there when I first got it.

• Like Like x 2
    25. Furetto

Furetto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is also a very good thread with lots of positive thinking backed by scientific studies.

Most of the members that you see commenting in that thread, you don't see them around now... :)