Tinnitus for 7 Weeks, Terrified and Suicidal, Only 19 Years Old — Please Help!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Priya997, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Priya997

Priya997 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10th June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      After coming off a flight
      Hi guys! So im 19 and ive had tinnitus for around 7 weeks now after coming off a flight. After coming off the flight i could hear a wooshing air noise in my left ear. That got replaced with ringing straight away in both ears. Everytime i go near a fan or outside when its windy the wooshing noise comes back.

The tinnitus is constant very severe and high pitched with multiple tones. The ent all say my ear drum looks fine and hearing test normal. I have been crying every day and having bad panic attacks as i used to love the silence!! Im in hell! Is this likely. To go? Im so suicidal. :(

• Hug Hug x 6
    2. Madi H

Madi H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure, probably headphones
      First you need to calm down. It may seem impossible, but trust me it's in your best interest. I am 15 and I have T. I've had it for 7 months now.

Yours is still fairly new so make sure you don't rule out the fact that it can go away. It'll be ok. A lot of teens have tinnitus you just have to ask around. Your life isn't over. Try distracting yourself. I can't hear my T when I'm outside doing things. Try checking out the success stories and look at habituated people and look for advice from them.

Things will get better I promise. You just have to hold out hope. Do you have any questions?

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      The doctor checked you for ETD? Maybe a barotrauma related issue, did your ears feel blocked the first couple of days after your flight?

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Priya997

Priya997 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10th June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ent said i may have mild baro trauma. No signs of improvment on t though ;( very suicidal just want it gone

5. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Problem with your logic there.
      If you go and off yourself, you'll never get to improve.
      So think straight and let your ears get better. These things don't heal in a day.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Priya997

Priya997 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10th June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Is it likely the t will subside once the trauma heels?

7. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Let me check my crystal ball.
      Come on, you're 19, not 4 years old. You need to exercise what is known as patience.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. Madi H

Madi H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T goes up and down in volume. Most of the time it is low. I live in the mountains so my ears pop all the time and it gets loud. I tell myself my lazy ass has been sleeping for 15 years. Ive slept through parties, reunions, movies, etc so why can't I sleep through this? Something that doesn't matter at all.

T won't stop me from doing shit. I'm gonna continue to live and breathe and T isn't gonna have a damn say on how I live my life. If I wanna go to a concert, then fuck it I'll wear head phones. If I start to get scared of loud noises then fuck it, I'll travel the world and see things that'll make me so captivated I'll have to ask myself T who?

Some people have had it 20+ years. I personally am not keeping a look out for a cure. I'm not pessimistic, instead I'm optimistic. Whatever the hell happens, happens but I'm not gonna post pone my life waiting on a 'cure'.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. Oli
      Hurting

Oli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @undecided Dude I understand your suffering but no need to be rude with her

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Madi H

Madi H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And yes t can go down if you don't mess with it but it doesn't always go away.

11. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Wow, how lovely to see an optimistic person who only has "need to look for it to hear it" tinnitus and calls severe cases assholes (yes I saw your post and bit my tongue at the time)!
      You are the last person to preach here, people's lives have being destroyed and in some cases lost due to severity of the noise.
      Cut the crap and get a reality check kid!

12. whale
      No Mood

whale Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/25/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Myofascial crap Bruxism, a jackhammer, stress who knows
      Did you get any persciption ant-inflammation? There is most likely inflammation.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Priya997

Priya997 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10th June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nope! Not got prescribed anything

14. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      What are you talking about, I'm on my best behavior here. Plus I gave totally solid advice, plus I bought time so Priya doesn't knock her head with a baseball bat or something...
      At least I should have gotten a "useful" trophy.

• Funny Funny x 2
    15. Carrie O'Brien

Carrie O'Brien Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Ever sense my TMJD symptoms got worse
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJD
      Hello, everyone. I have horrible TMD no one here at where I live seems 2 understand. I am in chronic pain for 5-years and all I want 2 do is get better. With my TMD I can't "pop" my ears really. My left had been acting up sense January. When I talk it sounds like a speaker box or an echo. It feels like I have water in my ear. Can the joint push up against the ear and do this. It isn't getting any better and it makes my left side hurt 2 right where my ear is. It makes my vertigo worse and increases my dizziness. I have posture issues. Upper and lower back pain migraines that are so bad they shoot up to the top of my head and I'm sensitive to light. I also, get twitching in my jaw. Get back 2 me anytime. Thanks. Carrie

I really need to see a neuromuscular dentist

I wish that they could give me a shot in that area it might still be full but it would calm it down and take the inflammation away and the joint by my ear can release. Talk soon.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I would say to talk to Billie on here. He will respond to you rather quickly. He has severe T and he is fine after hard work.

Does anyone know how to tag someone on here?

Please read his story. I have it bookmarked for my bad days but I bet he can relate more to you.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

Also aren't they supposed to have you try steroids in the very beginning?

17. Madi H

Madi H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @valeri
      I'm sorry if I was ranting and it offended you. I don't have to look for it, it's always there but it depends on the setting for me. If you really read my post it was geared towards those who allow others to indulge themselves in negative thoughts. I didn't mean to offend anyone that didn't possibly deserve it. Right after I regretted posting it and I tried totals it down today or at least change it up but it was gone. Yesterday was a rough day for me and I know that isn't an excuse. I seriously didn't mean to offend you personally and if I did then I am sorry.

18. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      i dont understand why you even bother to comment if you are not helping...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Really?
      is this how we older, mature and/or long time suffers are gonna help and support new and super young T suffers?
      it would be nicer to show that we are mature/wiser enough to understand that some teens have not enough knowledge, Understand that at least they are trying to do their best despiste of the suffering and their limited understanding.
      no need to be harsh with the younger ones.

20. Thomas Brennan

Thomas Brennan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 2. 16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      When u get yourself in a state of panic about t that state makes it 100 times worse and u can't think straight my t is really bad right now but I have god to turn to and I pray for strength and courage

• Like Like x 1
    21. Karel
      Tired

Karel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      It may seem impossible now, but most people eventually get used to (habituate to) their T and don't really get a strong negative emotional reaction to it anymore. It's normal for this process to takes months or longer. Patience, and try not to focus on it more than you need to. Just be careful with your ears but otherwise try to get on with your life.

22. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I'm afraid you don't know the full story so you missed the point of my post.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Priya997

Priya997 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10th June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi guys! So I'm 19 and I've had tinnitus and hyperacusis for around 7 weeks now after coming off a flight.

After coming off the flight I could hear a wooshing air noise in my left ear. That got replaced with ringing straight away in both ears. Every time i go near a fan or outside when its windy the wooshing noise comes back.

The tinnitus is constant very severe and high pitched with multiple tones. The ENTs all say my ear drum looks fine and hearing test normal and typo test normal. I have been crying every day and having bad panic attacks as I used to love the silence!! Im in hell! Is this likely to go? I'm so suicidal. :(

I am this close to leaving!!!!

24. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Mario, settle petal. Val wasn't addressing that to the original poster.

25. T.Smitty

T.Smitty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Skateboarding accident.
      I find it very interesting reading about what everyone has to say about living with tinnitus, mostly because I can relate. I've been living and dealing with T for almost 2 years due to not wearing a helmet skateboarding because I thought it was uncomfortable. Anyway, I hit the back of my head extremely hard causing this ringing in my right ear instantaneously. I had the worst headache in my life for a good 2 weeks. I lost like 80% of hearing in that ear from my own judgment comparing the two, as I thought I was losing my mind. It drove me crazy. I never went to the hospital what so ever. I was an idiot. I to this day stay very active in extreme sports, witch is like therapy maintaining my sanity living with this constant sound. Hopefully some day it'll go completely away. At least I can talk on the phone again with my right ear after 2 years. Lol

• Hug Hug x 1
    26. Tim Hogan
      No Mood

Tim Hogan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/Flu (Minor) >>> Middle Ear Reflex Test made it Severe.
      The only peace of mind i get, and you should too, is that they are working on treatments especially in recent years it seems to either reduce it to a place where it doesn't bother you, or cure it.

I think the worse frame of mind is to consider it permenant, there are plenty of peolpe who have had it for months/years and had it go away

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      Carrie O'brien

I'm sorry that you have so many problems on top of your tinnitus, you have a lot on your plate. I hope that some of these things will improve soon.

Good Luck :)

Louie

Quiatatnight

28. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      Pritya997

Please try and hang in there, and keep in mind that we all have been where you are and got through it. It's still very soon yet and there's a good chance that this will just go away soon. So try and keep busy, that's the best thing for you now and try and stay calm, I know its hard right now, but that helps lower your tinnitus. Fear only feeds the tinnitus monster.

Remember, we are all here for you to help with info, experience and moral support. If you need to talk just jump in and ask. One of your new TT friends will gladly listen and help out, that's why we are here. We are all in this together.

Take care :)

Louie

Quietatnight

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey @Priya997, I also got my tinnitus (three years ago) from barotrauma following a long-distance airplane flight. Like you, my ear drum did not rupture -- which led some doctors to tell me that the horrible pain and feeling of water in my ear that I developed in my ear during that flight was not barotrauma did not cause my T. Other docs, however, have disagreed and said it was barotrauma. Me, I am sure it was the flight and Btrauma. Eustachian tube dysfunction (ETD) also was involved.
      Note to everyone: DO NOT ever fly with a severe cold or respiratory infection, which is what I did. It's a ticket to disaster.

Anywho...
      I echo advice given above: get a course of steroids to reduce inflammation. The sooner the better. Then go from there. Be determined to get answers but patient.

Also, concentrate on calming down and working on your anxiety, although I know its hard to do. I, too, had terrible panic attacks in the beginning. I feel for you, they are gawd awful. Do a forum search for "anxiety" and "panic attacks," and you'll find good advice. Anxiety only makes things worse, unfortunately.

Hang in there... regardless of what happens, you will feel better. You are in the worst of it now.

PS: A comment to some on this thread:
      Snarky or mean comments don't help someone who is in the middle of panic, regardless of their age. Trust me. If that's the best you can offer, consider not offering anything at all.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Priya997

Priya997 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10th June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi guys! So im 19 and ive had tinnitus for around 7 weeks now after coming off a flight. After coming off the flight i could hear a wooshing air noise in my left ear. That got replaced with ringing straight away in both ears. Everytime i go near a fan or outside when its windy the wooshing noise comes back.

The tinnitus is constant very severe and high pitched with multiple tones. The ent all say my ear drum looks fine and hearing test normal. He said i have barotrauma and the t will go but i doubt it. I have been crying every day and having bad panic attacks as i used to love the silence!! Im in hell! Is this likely. To go? Im so suicidal. :( I cant do this anymore