Tinnitus from Flu/COVID-19 — Looking for Hope/Understanding

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by vme1987, Jul 1, 2024.

1. vme1987

vme1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu/Covid
      Hi all!

Tinnitus started for me after either the flu or COVID-19 in February 2024. Nothing was irregular about the flu or COVID-19 - I felt pretty miserable for a couple of days, and I have never had any other health issues or concerns.

I have scanned tinnitus forums for months and am looking for someone to post about their similar journey and reassure me that it will disappear. I also, at the beginning of all this, went into a panic/anxiety-ridden state, saw my doctor, and did a hearing test and regular exam with an ENT. Labs, chest x-rays, and hearing tests all was OK. The ENT noted that it was likely from COVID-19, and the tinnitus is from some possible nerve damage seen in flu-related cases. They told me the ringing would likely subside in 4-6 months.

After that appointment, the ear ringing was the least of my concerns after throwing myself into a panic state of anxiety. I had accepted it and felt normal again - I didn't want to feel how I did during that anxiety hype ever again... The only thing was there was some faint ringing, still.

I had been okay with it for the last two months. One day a couple of weeks ago, the ringing spiked up a bit - I can't think of any changes other than maybe general allergies/a slight cold. However, since then, it has brought back the anxiety feelings and wonder again that something is seriously wrong with me and causing this tinnitus to happen. I followed up with the ENT, and they asked about salt/caffeine intake and told me they would do an MRI 'just to make sure they're not missing anything.'

I guess I finally felt the need to post in this forum to see if anyone has a similar journey to mine and if there is any reassurance. If this is post-viral and 'likely to go away within six months per the ENT,' does the random sound spike cause concern? Again, I'm seeking a little support. My anxiousness does stem from thinking that something is medically wrong with me so, just an FYI with any responses :) I appreciate places like this because we want logical answers and understanding when we face things!

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Supersix
      Balanced

Supersix Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss ETD Left Ear,Profound hearing loss R
      I understand what you're going through. It sounds like you have a mild case, and the sudden increase scared you, making you think it would never go back down. I can reassure you that 99% of spikes always come down. It would be best to remind yourself of that so you don't panic.

Learning breathing exercises will help tremendously, and keeping busy during the day when you experience a spike and listening to the sound of rain can help calm it down. I have a hissing sound and deep ringing at night when I sleep; certain nasal sprays will spike it. Afrin and Flonase do this, so I stay away from those.

It takes time to adjust, but hopefully, it will disappear for you. Most of us went through the same emotions you're going through. Don't be afraid to try medication that can help you. If you experience any side effects, they will eventually subside.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Though I already had tinnitus before catching COVID-19, it did make mine worse. It's now much more erratic, and I will have days where it is like my pre-COVID-19 tinnitus was and days where it is spiked with an electrical hissing that sometimes moves around my head but often is focused just in my left ear. I also get sudden, brief, unilateral, tapering tinnitus (SBUTT) pretty often now, too.

4. Supersix
      Balanced

Supersix Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss ETD Left Ear,Profound hearing loss R
      COVID-19 infection spiked my tinnitus for a few days, and so did the vaccine. I was one and done with the vaccine.

5. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Yea, the vaccine spiked me for a couple of months as well.

• Winner Winner x 1
    6. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      HiFrq ~2000, Increased 2022, LoFrq ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise - clubs, stereos, cycles, headphones, engines,etc
      I'll keep taking the vaccine—six times so far with no effect on tinnitus. However, COVID-19 is 2000 times more likely to cause tinnitus than the vaccination for it, plus other possible complications such as "long COVID" or worse.

7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk. Don't worry too much about spikes. Most of the time, they will subside to baseline. You may not want to help trigger or prolong the spikes, as extreme anxiety will trigger the limbic nerves and turn you into the fight or flight mode of reaction, which usually makes things worse. Don't let the brain think that the spikes are mortal threats, as doing so will cause the brain to zero on the spikes non-stop and amplify the sensations. Try living life and focusing on other aspects of life. Employ relaxing exercises and abdominal breathing, calming your nerves and anxiety. Stay optimistic that all will be well. Take good care. God bless your recovery.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vme1987

vme1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu/Covid
      Your responses have been a breath of fresh air! I don’t know anyone who has experienced this personally, and I truly appreciate the insight!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1