Tinnitus from Ultrasonic Sound Mouse Repellent

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Beatrice, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Beatrice

Beatrice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ultrasonic sound from mice repellant
      I discovered I had mice and went out to get something to get rid of them. I am scared of mice; I can't even look at them. When I saw the mouse repellents and the fact that I could get 3 for 1, I was happy. But that night was the beginning of my woes.

My tinnitus has never stopped since the night I used the repellents. I removed the things in the morning but the sound has never stopped in my head. It's been over a month now and am afraid it may not stop. Has anyone here experienced this?

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I haven't @Beatrice. I used an ultrasonic mouse repellent many years ago when I was in my 40s without any adverse effects. Apparently, the sound level of these devices can reach 65 kHz, well beyond the scope of human hearing which at best, a young person can hear up to 20 kHz. However, I have heard some people with sensitive hearing might be affected by ultrasonic mouse repellent. I don't know of a specific case like yours, where they caused the onset of tinnitus.

I hope you start to feel better soon. Try to avoid being in quiet rooms and surroundings, as your brain will focus more on the tinnitus. Use low-level sound enrichment. Go to my started threads and read my post: New to Tinnitus, What to Do?

Take care,
      Michael

3. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      There is a study, though I don't know if it covers hearing damage. It's also behind a paywall:

Assessment of short-term exposure to an ultrasonic rodent repellent device

I've been trying to find out dB level of these devices, but my searches are coming up short.

Did you possibly already hear any faint ringing in complete silence, say, while lying in bed at night? I wonder if maybe the uncomfortable tone caused a temporary spike if you already had very mild tinnitus.

4. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary

Attached Files:

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Beatrice

Beatrice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ultrasonic sound from mice repellant
      Thanks. I will have a look at your threads. I have just been keeping myself very busy during the day, so I get super tired at night, then I am able to sleep though I wake up several times through the night. But I am now getting 4-5 hours a night which is much more than I have in the past month.
      I cannot say I noticed any tinnitus sound in the past though I have had ENT sensitivities. In the past, I got earaches quite easily if I ate something cold. However, I have eaten cold stuff for the past 6 months without having an earache.

Maybe my body has made an exchange :) I will have a look at the article. Thank you.
      Thank you.