Tinnitus Getting Worse Throughout the Day

Discussion in 'Support' started by CrystalB, Mar 21, 2018.

1. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have noticed since I’ve had my tinnitus for 5 months that it gets worse as the day goes on.
      When I go to bed my tinnitus is so loud it feels like my head is vibrating! It's just about unbearable, but there is nothing I can do so I just got to bare with it and fall off to sleep.

As I wake up the next morning, it’s loud but definitely sometimes not as loud as it was when I went to bed.

As the day goes on I have noticed it gets worse and by that evening it gets even louder.

What causes that? Just wondering if anyone experience that also with tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Dij111
      Paranoid

Dij111 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure(Fire Alarm, Headphone Usage)
      Same for me, I think it's because we let our ears rest throughout the night, and then tinnitus is quiet.

But during the day we are exposed to sounds so that's why it feels higher by the end of the day.

I always take a shower right before going to sleep as I feel the sound of water calms it down.

• Useful Useful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      My tinnitus fluctuated a lot for the first 6 to 18 months. My emotions were running high and what I was eating(poor diet) and doing(adding un-needed stress) probably was not helpful in my situation either. Do understand that your nerves are pretty raw right now and you are still in shock that, a noise is coming out your head.

I highly suggest that you keep a diary and write down your daily plans and activities. try to see what things you do on a daily basis, that helps with your situation. See what bad habits, you have that annoy your tinnitus. I was in your shoes before and I remember it...like it was yesterday. you need to talk to someone about your tinnitus and just open up to them. Someone that you trust. Posting on a forum is wonderful, but nothing beats a person - to - person interaction. tell them how you feel. I did this with my audiologist 30 years ago.

If you can find someone that understands tinnitus, that will be a huge plus in my books. Seeking support and reducing stress can work WONDERS for folks that are afflicted with tinnitus. You need to do something like this, I needed to do it and I use to be a stubborn person. I still knew that I needed, to get to a better spot/place in my life, so I opened up to my audiologist and my mom (bless her soul :) )

It can take you 6 months to 18 months to get a grip, on this matter. Maybe sooner or maybe later, we are all different but what I share with you has saved me and many others. Tinnitus can become a mental game and I have played it's nasty games before and now I make the rules in my life and not tinnitus for me.

Good luck :)

PS- All of us have our good days and bad days, but if we stick with a positive routine, think in a positive way and just not fight against the tinnitus, then our good days can increase.

• Like Like x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. housemzk

housemzk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussions, wisdom teeth removal, neck, jaw, stress, noise?
      I'm in the same boat with tinnitus increasing throughout the day. Mornings always being best... I started journaling a week after onset (2 months ago) and I'm still at loss for the exact cause, but I've narrowed it down to either anxiety or muscle/jaw related. To try and alleviate this, I stretch my neck and jaw throughout the day and if I have to, take Lorezapam pill around 2pm if I feel the tinnitus is becoming more intrusive.

I'm going to try the shower before bed idea.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you all for you advice! I am doing better than I was, but it’s still a battle day to day. I heard stress can trigger tinnitus rather that’s true or not I don’t know. I know at the time that my tinnitus came, I had my first eye migraine, it freaked me out, I was screaming so loud because I thought I was having a stroke or something and my tinnitus happened two days after that. I got caught speeding and a cop pulled me over, first time ever so that stressed me out, and also my job. I’m the type of person who does stress out very easy with anxiety.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Same here. Nights are the worst. Stress and anxiety definitely make things much worse. Since there is no cure for tinnitus most medical professionals I've seen recommended to me a cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). I guess the aim of the therapy is to teach you not to focus so much on your tinnitus and push it somewhere to the back of your mind (forget about it in a sense). Where I live it's a 7 week nonstop course with mixed results - I think you have to be fully dedicated to the strategies they teach you to benefit from it the most.

My GP told me it also depends a lot on what personality type you are. If you work in the agriculture industry you're probably not gonna focus on some ringing in your ears so much e.g. If you work in academia and you need to put together complicated courseworks and understand research papers you're reading, then yea - a big problem.

+ if you're really anxious and you read all the petrifying stories about tinnitus on the net: spikes, permanent spikes, gaining new tones and/or changes in pitch, severe cases of tinnitus etc. then that's not gonna help either. It can lead to social isolation, raised stressed levels & depression, overprotecting of your ears and hyperacusis slash phonophobia as a result. I got hyperacusis and all that studying now about steady state sound vs. impulse noise damage and NRR vs SNR vs real life protection can make your head explode...

I guess tinnitus is one of those things where you don't want to educate yourself online. Friends/family support and finding the right med. professional who understands the matter and is willing to actually care about you (not the usual 'nuthin we can do about it, learn to live with it. Bye & next patient) is probably the best help one can get. The next level would be a psychiatrist or a mental house.

I find when I work at night the 'shower masking track' https://www.tinnitustalk.com/panic/ helps me a lot.

Keep on fighting, 2020 is the year (there's UoM - signal timing, + I was told just 2 days ago by an assistant professor neurologist that tinnitus can fade away on its own up to 2 years after onset.) There's also in development XEN1101 an antiepileptic drug that should work on tinnitus and Frequency Therapeutics could help us too. That's 4 things that may help in not too distant future.

Hope this helped you a little.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-university-of-michigan-tinnitus-discovery-—-signal-timing.2805/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/1st-order-pharmaceuticals-inc-1op-2198.19793/page-3

• Like Like x 1
    7. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Awwwww, life happens to all of us :)

I totally understand how you feel and what you have felt. When something happens to me and it's a negative situation, I tend to smile and remain positive. Although, it's our natural reaction/emotion to get angry, this simply jolts us further down the pit of misery. Pain has been my friend for as long as I remember, life shall be ok. Adversity hits but we CAN hit harder.

I can appreciate my approach, because I was the total opposite person 20 years ago and It never got me anywhere.
      Yes, stress can do tons to the body/mind/tinnitus and I highly suggest you keep it as low as possible. It's never easy to do this and all of our situations are different. Just trying a little can even make a difference, those little small steps in life and positivity can reap HUGE rewards....

PS-I post positivity because i seen HELL first hand and was able to overcome it, due to being calm and positive. I'll share one of my MANY stories.

I was driving on the freeway to see my friends, and it was a 15 mile drive. I was in the middle lane and doing 70mph. All of a sudden all my limbs went NUMB and i could not feet my arms, legs..nothing. I had a car on my left and on my right. I could not feel the peddle or the brakes. I could have crashed my car and I would have not been here helping folks like you.

Due to remaining calm and being positive, I saved my life. Trust me, I seen hell but I always kept the positivity and the gratitude and how lucky I am and how lucky we can truly be.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. Helheim
      Angry

Helheim Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Mine usually starts off a little lower in the mornings, especially after a good night's sleep (which is... quite rare). It climbs back up as soon as I start doing stuff though. I'm guessing it's because of my hyperacusis.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Has any of you experienced ears popping with tinnitus?
      My ears have never popped as much as they do now, started when my tinnitus started.

10. paganismos
      Angelic

paganismos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Syringing (Acoustic Trauma)
      I have this too, but I'm not sure why since it started a month in after onset. I have mucus and phlegm. I don't know why, it seems strange and apparently no one has noted the relation between the two.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Draug

Draug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello. I have had tinnitus since November 2018. I don't know the cause, but I suspect it could be stress linked to college or the stock market. The sound is not constant but gets worse throughout the day and resets after I've slept, but depends on the quality of the sleep of how low in volume it is. I suspect it may have something to do with my blood pressure, but not sure. I'm only 24. I think about maybe trying CBD since it has been known to work for people whose tinnitus is caused by stress and anxiety.

12. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I have experienced this a lot. CBD did nothing for me. My theory is that we have synaptopathy and the reason it resets after sleep is because that is when neurotransmitters are replenished and over the day the synapse get wore out.

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. Draug

Draug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So in order to cure it then you need to find a way to keep these neurotransmitter constantly replenished, how do you do that?

14. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Interesting, mine had a similar pattern. Not slept for about a month so it’s all over the place now.
      No hearing loss...

15. Draug

Draug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have also no hearing loss.

16. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I'm not sure.
      Have you both taken audiograms beyond the typical 8KHz one?

17. Draug

Draug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm not sure, it could have been 8 kHz but I suspect I have no trouble hearing in the higher frequencies as well.

18. Draug

Draug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just discovered now that he tested for all frequences and that I had one of the best hearing available.

19. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Draug A lot of people's 'cause of tinnitus' is unknown? Something is causing this?

20. Chris64

Chris64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/28/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had tinnitus for 11+ years. It was terrifying at first but a little easier to handle over time. I just try to avoid stressful, loud situations but over the day, it gets difficult to cope. Today, a child was screaming in a restaurant and it is now several hours later..the tinnitus increased to impossible levels. I look forward to my Ambien and sleep tonight.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Chris it sucks but I'm with you. Ambien and Xanax gives me okay sleep. I agree with the 'stress' I just went through extreme stress recently. A family member ill. I didn't handle it well and now my tinnitus is loud. I know it will take time to quiet, always has. Just takes time. Have a good nights sleep. G-D bless