Tinnitus Has Become Unbearable Because of Chewing?

Discussion in 'Support' started by SB93, Nov 21, 2023.

1. SB93

SB93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Suspected MRI; Possibly worsened by irrigation
      Does anyone know if chewing something tough can cause damage to the ear and therefore worse tinnitus?

I ate some ground beef yesterday that was really chewy and now my tinnitus is at the worst level its ever been. I was already dealing with a spike so I'm worried that this could have damaged my hearing and caused some kind of hearing loss. My tinnitus is unbearable right now with multiple tones and louder than anything. I have pain in my ears and they're plugged. I am so desperate and I can't sleep. My ears click every time I swallow.

Is this just a spike or could this be permanent? And to make everything worse, I have new neighbors that are the neighbors from hell. They have made constant noise ever since they moved in.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. BrOKeN_1

BrOKeN_1 Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Frequency Hearing Loss
      I think (or I hope) you are just dealing with a spike but the stress of it along with your obnoxious neighbor is compounding the issue. I'm guessing you've dealt with spikes before so you know yourself way better then anyone here possibly could. Let's hope what your going through is temporary. And hopefully your neighbors will learn to STFU!

• Like Like x 1
    3. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      Eat softer foods for a while.

Cut food up more before putting it in your mouth.

Avoid crunchy food.

Limit chewing when eating.

Do not bite nails.

Do not do jaw exercises.

Do not rest chin on anything (like your hand).

Relax jaw as much as you can (like when watching TV).

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SB93

SB93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Suspected MRI; Possibly worsened by irrigation
      Do you think harder or tough foods can cause damage to the ear and cause hearing loss? I was already in the middle of a spike from noise. I'm so upset with myself for eating something that wasn't soft. I'm terrified because it's never been this bad before.

5. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      I'm saying, avoid doing something that is making your tinnitus worse.

It is likely a somatic type tinnitus, caused by strenuous jaw movement.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      No man, relax. Heisenberg says relax...

7. slc

slc Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Many craniosacral therapists are trained to address TMJ and jaw issues. It might also be worth a visit to your dentist to make sure that your bite is even. And of course additional stress (neighbors from hell) could easily aggravate things.

Gentle massage, even using massage oil or sesame oil, of the face, jaw, scalp, behind the ears, mastoid process, neck, shoulders and such could help relieve some tension.

And I fully agree with @Jupiterman about avoiding difficult to chew foods.