Tinnitus, High Pitched Tonal in Ear, Static High Pitched Noises in Brain. 3 Weeks, No Hearing Loss.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jason E, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Jason E

Jason E Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slap to right ear
      Three weeks ago I was accidently slapped in the side of the head, I've had a brain MRI which showed nothing and have been to an audiologist, no hearing loss, just a high pitched ringing that interrupts every part of my day and night.

I've tried masking with no real benefit as the pitch is just so much higher... My estimate is around 13000 Hz or higher. It's affecting my relationship, my work and my life to the point I am losing hope fast.

Has anyone found anything beneficial for tinnitus that doesn't involve hearing loss?

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      Try some residual inhibition... it's basically playing the exact kHz as your tinnitus back to yourself by using one of the many online tone generators.
      In theory you should hear silence for about 30 seconds or so.
      It works really good for some, not as good for others, but it's a good start.

Also cricket and cicadia sounds would probably be able to do you some good in terms of masking...especially if you are trying to sleep.

3. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      Jason, I'm really sorry you have this terrible affliction. My tinnitus is similar in pitch to yours.

There are some promising treatment modalities which may be coming out pretty soon and are not aimed specifically at hearing loss/noise-infuced tinnitus. Check out "MuteButton", Uni of Minnesota and Uni of Michigan in the "research news" section of this site.

Also, some people think that your tinnitus has a better chance of going away if you don't have a hearing loss.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason E

Jason E Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slap to right ear
      Thank you for the response, I hope something comes soon, ugh how your how life can be completely turned upside down, I am just holding on to some hope. But life like this currently feels unliveable, I'm sure you've been there too. Did you find it improved at all with time?

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason E

Jason E Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slap to right ear
      I have given that a go, it relieves it for a few seconds, I wonder if doing that repeatedly for long periods of time would help to habituate and not really be able to hear the noise anymore.

6. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      There is another way you can do this:
      One of the members here created an app called ACRN neuromodulation... basically you set the frequency and it creates series of beeps around that frequency.
      I don't have the link but you could most likely google it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason E

Jason E Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slap to right ear
      I've found Tonal Tinnitus Therapy which seems it does the same, a bit of white noise followed by a series of beeps that flactuate around the pitch of your tinnitus. I will give this a go and report back. Thank you!

8. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      I'm unfortunately I'm the wrong person to ask. I'm struggling terribly ten months in. I too am trying to hope.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason E

Jason E Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slap to right ear
      I am really sorry you are struggling with it too, I hope habituation is not too far off for you, I am going to try some craniosacral therapy as I've heard some good things, I think anything at this point is worth a try, what may not work for some may work for others or vice versa.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      You might have hidden hearing loss

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Have you had your jaw alignment checked?

12. MJ Burton

MJ Burton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi Jason. This is very similar to my situation. Acoustic trauma 5 weeks ago...now extremely high pitches noise 24/7 in ear. Unmaskable and inescapable. Feels like something in cochlear broke. Is the Pred helping?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason E

Jason E Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slap to right ear
      I'm going to see an apparent audiologist expert in tinnitus next Thursday as I'm at my wits end, they are gonna run more tests etc so that's possible.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason E

Jason E Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slap to right ear
      Unfortunately for me the prednisolone didn't work, I went to an ENT today though and basically what she said I experienced was pretty much the same as acoustic trauma, she said usually a sudden impact will tend to fade over time but can take a few months at the least, she prescribed me lorazepam, I'm not huge on benzos as I do understand the risk.

I took one mg, within two hours the tinnitus was barely noticeable and that lasted around 8-10 hours of almost silence, I have no idea how this worked or why it worked, but it did and she said that a few of her patients take it for that reason and she just monitors them closely. I fell asleep later that night beautifully, of course to be woken a few hours later to screaming t. If you are absolutely depserate for some relief, lorazepam definitely works in the short term, you become indifferent to the sound, I don't know for how long it will continue to work, but it gave me back my life for that 8 hour period and I needed that sign of hope. If you are desperate definitely try lorazapam, I'm only going to take it 2-3 times per week as I don't want to become too dependant, but for me right now that will be enough to at least keep me sane, it beats 24/7 high pitched squealing that makes life seem impossible.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason E

Jason E Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slap to right ear
      I definitely know I have a mal occlusion, my jaw is slightly assymetric, I've tried moving my jaw into different positions but don't notice any changes with T by doing so, I think it's something definitely worth considering though, not entirely sure if it's directly related as it came on after sudden impact/noise trauma.

16. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      check for hearing loss at 13,000hz.

come again