Tinnitus Made Worse by Atorvastatin and Ezetimibe — What Anti-Cholesterol Drug Can Work for Me?

SimonP

Author
Oct 21, 2024
Tinnitus Since
07/2012
Cause of Tinnitus
An explosion in my right ear
Hello, and thank you for letting me join.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas for me. My tinnitus is the result of someone causing an explosion in my right ear, which did considerable damage. After 12 years, I had mostly learned to cope with it. However, last month, I had a minor stroke, and they prescribed Atorvastatin, which caused my tinnitus to skyrocket within a matter of hours. I stopped taking it, and after a month, things had calmed down somewhat.

But then I was asked to take Ezetimibe. I took just half a tablet (5 mg) at 1:30 p.m. today, and by 5:00 p.m., the tinnitus became awful again. A steroid injection I had three or four years ago had the same bad effect. So, I have two questions:

Does anyone have any idea which ingredient(s) in these drugs could be causing the problem? And does anyone know of an anti-cholesterol medication that won't make my tinnitus worse?

Thanks for reading!

Hello, and thank you for letting me join.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas for me. My tinnitus is the result of someone causing an explosion in my right ear, which did considerable damage. After 12 years, I had mostly learned to cope with it. However, last month, I had a minor stroke, and they prescribed Atorvastatin, which caused my tinnitus to skyrocket within a matter of hours. I stopped taking it, and after a month, things had calmed down somewhat.

But then I was asked to take Ezetimibe. I took just half a tablet (5 mg) at 1:30 p.m. today, and by 5:00 p.m., the tinnitus became awful again. A steroid injection I had three or four years ago had the same bad effect. So, I have two questions:

Does anyone have any idea which ingredient(s) in these drugs could be causing the problem? And does anyone know of an anti-cholesterol medication that won't make my tinnitus worse?

Thanks for reading!
I also had steroid injections, which caused my tinnitus. It started 25 days ago, and I'm hoping it gets better.

Hi @SimonP,

I had raised cholesterol, so my GP advised me to take medication to help keep it under control. I took three types, including the two that you have mentioned. Unfortunately, they all increased my tinnitus. I had other unpleasant side effects with Ezetimbe and the third medication, which I can't remember the name of.

My GP was very understanding when I said I could no longer continue taking cholesterol-lowering medication simply because of the massive increase in my tinnitus. A family member advised me to try a cholesterol-lowering drink called Benecol. Many supermarkets supply their own brand which do the same thing at a much cheaper price. I take one drink a day which is supplied in a small bottle. My cholesterol has decreased with the help of adjusting my diet; I do not eat too much fried food, cakes, etc., and I walk at least 30 minutes a day.

Please remember this is just my experience. We are all different, so you may find a cholesterol medication that works for you. Please keep in mind that most cholesterol medication can increase a person's blood glucose levels, which can make them prone to developing diabetes. This is well documented on the internet.

Best of luck,
Michael

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now