Tinnitus Made Worse by Smoke Alarm and Car Exhaust

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Arnold95, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Arnold95

Arnold95 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power tool
      Hello, my name is Arnold. I have had tinnitus since 2017 but I guess it was mild or low at that time.

Two weeks ago my smoke alarm went off inside my apartment for a couple of seconds and the ringing started two days after. I noticed an increase in my tinnitus.

Yesterday a car exhaust blasted by when I was walking my dog, Now I'm having trouble sleeping so not sure if it will go down.

My tinnitus sounds loud in my right ear or above my head?

2. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      If you protect your ears form here on out, there's a real chance your tinnitus will go down a bit. Half a year might be a reasonable time frame.

My own tinnitus has worsened on a couple of occasions as well. Nowadays, I never leave home without (properly inserted) foam earplugs. If I lived in a home with fire alarms not already dismantled, I would use ear muffs in the affected rooms (no fire alarms in the bed room).

• Like Like x 2
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Your tinnitus spike may be due to suffering some degree of acoustic trauma from those loud noise exposures. It may be helped by having a short course of Prednisone as it is only a short time ago this happened. Perhaps consult your doctor or to see if you need that. Take care. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Arnold95

Arnold95 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power tool
      Thank you Vincent R. I'll take your advice and also no more smoke alarm in the bedroom.

Hopefully my tinnitus returns mild or improves.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Arnold95

Arnold95 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power tool
      Thank you billie48.

I saw my ENT last week and I asked him if he can prescribe me Prednisone but he said no. I'm still waiting to do a hearing test from audiologist someday next week so hopefully my tinnitus returns mild or improves.

God Bless you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Arnold95

Arnold95 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power tool
      Hello

Is ZzzQuil safe to take to sleep because I've been having sleeping problems? My tinnitus doesn't bother me that much unless it's somewhere in my head ringing.

Also showering makes my tinnitus louder for a couple of hours so I don't know if this is normal.

Any advice helps. God bless you.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Arnold95

Arnold95 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power tool
      Update.

I did a hearing test back on January 11, 2022 and it came back normal. No hearing loss.

Also my tinnitus has been changing in tones but so far it has been very intrusive for a couple of days since I've been feeling sick so not sure if that's normal.

Is it safe to use my phone or a sound machine to play sounds at the lowest level at night near my pillow? Just curious if it will do any damage to my ears?

8. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I would put it at the floor and rather turn the volume up a notch or two.

Sounds safer.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Arnold95

Arnold95 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power tool
      Thank you Exit.

That's a good idea.

10. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Another warning...

My sound machine, the famous brand, but can’t remember the name. If I use it plugged into an outlet, and the power goes for a second, it will restart by itself at volume 15 or 25!

I used to have it on the floor at volume 7. So if you’re very sensitive I would put on earmuffs and check how it behaves when unplugged.

I don’t dare to use mine anymore without putting it in the next room.

Or just charge it. But I’ve gone over to music and a fan at nights.