Tinnitus Since the 1980s, Hyperacusis Over the Past Year — History of Loud Noise Exposure

Gypsy

Author
Oct 19, 2024
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
Loud whistle noise at beginning of play Barnum and heredity
Tinnitus runs in my family. My father had it, and all four of my siblings have it too. My own tinnitus began after an incident during a stage play called Barnum. The actor playing the lead blew a whistle so loudly that it pierced my eardrums, and I've had problems ever since. That was around 1980. Additionally, I'm a nurse, and back in the day, we didn't have electronic stethoscopes or couldn't use them in the settings where I worked. Of course, I should also mention that I used to listen to loud music from my teens through my twenties.

The tinnitus I experience is a high-pitched, continuous noise, but it has also sounded like a roaring, especially after exposure to loud noises. Over the past year, I've developed hyperacusis, though I hadn't noticed it before. I feel more sensitivity in my right ear, but both ears are now affected. My hyperacusis isn't as severe as some people experience; chewing and similar sounds don't bother me. However, what is bothersome is that I sing in a choir, and the organ played by the director in our choir loft is unbearable for me. I'm the only one who can't stand how loud it sounds. I've used an earplug in my right ear before and was still able to sing, but lately, I've had to use earplugs in both ears, and singing has become very difficult. Sometimes, I can't even hear myself or the other singers over the organ and additional brass instruments.

Recently, I ordered custom-molded earplugs for musicians, but I had to have them redone and am currently waiting for the second pair. In the meantime, I'm trying two different brands of high-fidelity, over-the-counter earplugs. If nothing works, I may have to stop singing in the choir. Like any other musician, the thought of giving up any form of music is devastating, even if it isn't my livelihood. Thankfully, I can still play the piano softly and the nylon-string guitar, and those don't bother me—but they're not the same as making music with other singers.

I joined this group because I needed a space where others would understand what I'm going through, and I hope to learn a lot from other members. Thank you.

Thank you, @Mark F. I just got back from trying to sing with a high-fidelity earplug in my most sensitive ear, but all I could hear was the ringing in my ear and the very loud bass notes from the organ and trombone. I couldn't hear the melody, and I couldn't sing my alto part. It's almost time to quit.

During the last verse of the final hymn, the director pulled out all the stops, and I had to put on the earmuffs I usually wear at the shooting range. I don't know what else I can do.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now