Tinnitus Spike After Wisdom Tooth Removal

Discussion in 'Support' started by tiniturk, Jul 26, 2023.

1. tiniturk
      No Mood

tiniturk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi all,

I won’t introduce myself just to spare you all some time but basically I have had moderate unilateral tinnitus in my left ear for about 7 months now.

Today I had to get my wisdom tooth extracted. Got some local anesthesia injected, waited for a couple of minutes and then the tooth got removed. All in all the procedure took 8-10 minutes at most. No drilling was done.

After the procedure, as the anesthesia wore down over time, I noticed that I have a spike in my tinnitus volume. My tinnitus is louder than before, even though no loud sounds were made during the procedure.

To combat the pain after the anesthesia wears down, I have been prescribed 600 mg Ibuprofen on solution basis, which I have taken 1 of until now. Due to the possible ototoxicity I plan to “smile through the pain” tomorrow and not take any more. If the pain becomes too much though, I will take another one.

Did any of you also get a spike from such a procedure?

2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Wisdom teeth are tied to the nerve that innervates the DCN so any movement or aggravation in the teeth can affect tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tiniturk
      No Mood

tiniturk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Ah, thanks for the information. Do you know if this movement could warrant a permanent worsening of the tinnitus? I was almost fully habituated to the previous volume and I do have the mental capacity to also habituate to the current one, but it’s all so very tiresome.

4. MadG

MadG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      No one can tell you for sure, but the standard response to that question is, it has a good chance to return to previous volume (can take up to a year a year and a half) or even a greater chance it will reduce in volume to almost previous level. However, you are already ahead in the game if you can say to yourself that you can habituate even at the current level because most likely it will be a combination of both a reduction and habituation.

• Like Like x 1