Tinnitus Talk is Like a Different World to Me

Discussion in 'Support' started by PhoenixAcademy, Apr 3, 2020.

1. PhoenixAcademy

PhoenixAcademy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise?
      I don't really know anyone personally that has tinnitus or other ear problems that cause them problems. I have kind of adapted to being like a ghost with this because nobody seems to get it. People talk loud, my mom constantly invites me to loud restaurants knowing I am going to walk in and walk out. People at work that know I have hearing problems still post prank videos on MS Teams where they edit the jump scare loud noise in videos. My friends still invite me to loud bars.

This community is like the only group on the planet that I have found that seems to understand. Are we really that much of a minority or are people in general just that uncaring, rude, and whimsical?

• Friendly Friendly x 4
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      A little bit of column A, a little bit of column B.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      There are medical problems just as rare that receive more empathy. The real problem is that ENT's simply don't understand the difference between tinnitus and tinnitus. Also, hyperacusis is just people with tinnitus that ruminate about it.

I have two experiences that say it all -- both with big wig ENTs. The first one forcefully told me to take my ear muffs off, while recommending I get an MRI, seeing no reason why there could be an issue. He mentioned that he has tinnitus and gets MRI's.

The second one jumped to psychiatry in 3 minutes. My wife asked him to lower his voice and he completely ignored her.

The world shouldn't revolve around us, as we are rare. But I feel like it's not even recognized as a real disability. Perhaps it shouldn't even be called tinnitus for people with normal-adult versions of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Why don't you confront her about it and ask her why she won't stop doing that?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PhoenixAcademy

PhoenixAcademy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise?
      Confront my mom? Ha ha. That. never works. I just smile and nod.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I know what you mean. It's like when a job is not worth it. Wave and smile haha

7. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The world of chronic health forums is, universally, a "different world" than waking real-world society, for better and worse. An important thing is to treat all information received with a degree of incredulity, no matter which world that information seemed to originate in.
      This will not improve as she ages, get used to nodding for longer and longer.