Tinnitus That Gets Several Magnitudes Louder When Turning Neck? Is It Somatic Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Markks, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Markks

Markks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had tinnitus for almost 10 years. It varies alot. It completely disappeared for more than one year and I have been wondering why. The only thing that I can think of that I was physically fit, had good posture and exercised a lot.

When I gained my weight back and stopped exercising that much, the tinnitus came back and it's really loud nowadays as it was in the beginning. I didn't have loud noise exposure when the tinnitus set in but I had been sitting at the computer for extensive periods. No hearing loss either.

So my tinnitus is very high pitched and incredibly loud especially when I turn my neck or when I flex my shoulder/neck muscles. I have a pretty bad posture as I sit most of the day.

Can this kind of tinnitus be somatic? I have sometimes got a bit of relief with neck exercises but it never went away with the stretches.

2. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, I have this as well and it is somatic
      Mine also changes with touch (massages including face massage, putting head on pillow, stretching, yawning, sneezing, hiccups, etc.) Does yours do the same?

Does yours increase after exercise?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markks

Markks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not sure if exercise makes it worse but aerobic exercise sometimes makes it better for a while.

Do you think your somatic T has to do with your posture?

4. MarkX

MarkX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mine is somatic as well. Didn’t get it from noise exposure. I did physio therapy and it seemed to make it worse. It came back down a bit. I’m trying to eat healthier and lose weight to see if it helps. Idk.

5. MarkX

MarkX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It’s just my left ear too. Yours went away for an entire year. I definitely would get the weight off to see if it helps.

6. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @MarkX From your postings I would consider: - sternocleidomastoid (one side) and splenius capitis with pressure and applying pressure to temple, mastoid process and zygoma process. With this usually the occiput becomes involved and is misaligned (unbalanced).

If you have somatic tinnitus in one ear that's loud and possible congestion then very likely these are the areas of focus that a therapist should treat. Cause would be constant or injury hyperextension of neck in forward posture causing muscle pressure even with just slight muscle spasms.
      auditory perceptual

@Markks Your situation may be easy to find cause, but more information is needed.

@Lilah From our conversations, to add is: Your PT syndrome may have happened from (a) failure of the somatosensory-auditory CNS interactions to suppress cardiac somatic sounds or (b) cardiac synchronous somatosensory activation of the central auditory pathway. This can be caused in combination with extreme neck movement with hypertension. Your work up should be the same as discussed per your other condition, but SCM treatment may also be needed.
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4134893/

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    7. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I have the increase from touch, too.

Do you have any kind of hyperacusis?

8. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have mild hyperacusis sometimes (sensitivity, no pain). I notice distorted voices or intercom sometimes. Do you have hyperacusis?

Sometimes I feel a bit off balance too... not sure if that is hyperacusis too.