Tinnitus Volume Lowers Drastically or Disappears When Traveling to Higher Altitude

Discussion in 'Support' started by StacyB, Aug 18, 2017.

1. StacyB

StacyB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Greetings,

I have had tinnitus in one ear since 2013. The doctor's ignored some indication of an abnormality seen in my Eustachian tube at that time and said it had nothing to do with the tinnitus (high-pitched hiss).

In the course of time, the tinnitus did improve on its own and would increase with stress occasionally.

By 2016 it was not very noticeable or absent most of the time.

Recently, I was exposed to some loud music, and tinnitus returned in the same ear 2 days later. Two days after that, it stopped, then returned a day later again.

Then I noticed that each time I visited a town of a higher altitude (more than 2000 m above sea level), the T volume disappears or is very low (like a level of 1 out of 10).

Whether I am there one or three days, it is low or nonexistent during the visit, then returns 12 to 24 hours after returning home.

Is there anyone else with this type of experience? The doctors simply will not acknowledge this or consider a means to treat this using this information.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any thoughts or feedback.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      When I was at the highest altitude in Mammoth Lakes, California I noticed the opposite at that level. My tinnitus went into this very high pitched sound. It was weird because I have a few different tones I deal with and only the extremely high pitched annoying sound (like a dog whistle) while on that peak.

The air is thinner...maybe that has something to do with it.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      StacyB

StacyB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello Starthrower. Thanks for your message. You're right, the air is thinner at higher altitudes. The change in air pressure may affect eustachian tube function. It may be possible that the change in pressure itself can affect tinnitis level and perception via effects on the eustachian tube.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. JenniferLynn

JenniferLynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      YES!! I live in/around Denver, Colorado (altitude appx 5200) and recently traveled up to Estes Park, Colorado (altitude 7500). Within an hour or two, I suddenly noticed that my tinnitus had COMPLETELY gone away. I couldn't believe it; it was such a WOW moment for me. For the next four days, I was completely tinnitus free. Of course upon returning home, my tinnitus returned within a day or two.

One thing I just now realized (that may or may not be related) is that on the drive up the mountain, my husband said his ears "popped" and I just assumed mine would soon after (because they usually would)... but they never did. I didn't even realize it at that time but now thinking back, it's weird that mine didn't "pop" also. It was the same for the drive home - my ears never "popped".

There just HAS to be a connection between the altitude and my tinnitus.

For the record, my tinnitus started around 2 years ago and has very gradually gotten more and more noticeable (worse?). It's become a common (albeit minor) nuisance to me lately and I have yet to see a doctor about it. I just thought it was SO so weird that it suddenly went away while we were up in the mountains. That's how I found this site and your post.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Oh wow maybe we need to create a Tinnitus world on a mountain top over 7500 altitude!
      What did it seem like to be tinnitus free for 4 days?

I wonder if that altitude constricts the blood flow into the ear? I have that same effect with one cup of coffee in the mornings. Although it doesn't last very long. Still a nice bit of a break.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I forgot to put Stacy's quote above.

7. Val J

Val J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Springsteen concert, sitting too close to the speakers
      There appears to be 2 threads related to tinnitus and altitude, so I am adding my recent experience to this thread also.

My tinnitus worsen this winter when I ended up with fluid in my middle ear from a head cold. It continues to this day. I live in Tampa, FL. I noticed when I was in PA both in December and in March, the tinnitus went away. I then noticed while in Central Europe in May, no tinnitus. Most recently, I took a trip to Iowa. Took the same flights and airplanes from Tampa to Chicago to Cedar Rapids over the 4th of July. No problems with tinnitus the 7 days while in Iowa. My return trip was the same flights, stops and airplanes. Upon descending into Tampa, the pressure increased, the pooping started and the ringing in my ears started and continue to this day.

After reading posts, has anyone got long term relief by being and remaining at a higher altitude?

8. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Those states are not exactly high altitude locations. High altitude would be more along the lines of in the mountains of Colorado. If anything, maybe the flight altered your tinnitus. Or simply traveling is a good distraction and diverts your attention. For example, I barely noticed my tinnitus when I vacationed in Florida. It was still very much there, but my mind was so occupied with other things that it was easier to ignore it and not dwell on it.

9. BobbyH

BobbyH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustical trauma
      There is a connection. The ear drum separates the air pressure between yourself and the outside environment. Air pressure decreases as your altitude increases and vice-versa. This is precisely why people’s ears “pop” when going up and down in an airplane. The airplane is pressurized up to 8,000 feet when taking off and decreased to the altitude of the destination when landing. If your ears can not adjust, for what ever reason, then tinnitus may occur. An ENT can make that determination. Depending on the reason, there are a variety of remedies to include surgery to install tiny tubes into the ear drum to equalize the pressure.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AdamC

AdamC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Two years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      When driving back home from Asheville NC (2k+ above sea) to Knoxville TN (800) going through the mountains, having done this three times or more, there is a pop and the tinnitus comes back. When I’m in NC there is no tinnitus at all. I’m seriously considering moving.

11. T in G

T in G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I recently drove my son’s Mini Cooper S convertible from Columbus GA to Dallas TX and then to Colorado Springs CO. I rode with the top closed and the AC on. I noticed as I eased into the higher elevations that the constant seashell noise in my head was gone. I can move my lower jaw and change the pitch of the sound in my head. But I noticed I could not even make the noise at all while about 6k in elevation. I have flown to Japan once and India twice, as well as many flights in the US, but never really noticed a change. I pray for a cure, as I understand why suicide rates are so high among tinnitus sufferers. Fear not as I am a Christian and know God has a plan.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. dubstings

dubstings Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      scuba incident + depression?
      my T definitely seems to be WORSE at altitude. I live at 5000 feet and have a vacation home ay 10,000 feet and its definitely worse at 10,000.

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      move to Denver? high altitude, legal weed, cool people.

14. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      this actually isn't true; there's a single study from Asia which showed a modest correlation, and a handful of US studies which have found no association after adjusting for all comorbidities.

someone with tinnitus might be slightly more likely to commit suicide than the average person but even that is pretty debatable based on the data we have at present. people with T who lol themselves tend to be socially isolated elderly males, also the highest overall demographic for suicide.

15. Julie C

Julie C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I do not really know when exactly my tinnitus started but I noticed it more and more over the past year and a 1/2. I just went to Las Vegas (2,030 ft) for 5 days and noticed that the ringing had stopped and it was such a welcome relief. When we got back home to Detroit (656 ft) and we were riding back in the car after I noticed the ringing unfortunately was back and even louder it seemed than before. I think there is definitely something to be said about the correlation and it is so frustrating that there is nothing that supposedly can be done to give us permanent relief.

16. dontsellmydata

dontsellmydata Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I've had a low buzzing sound in my right ear for 10 years that I've been dealing with. It's actually a concert Bb on the piano. It's only noticeable in quiet environments such as when sleeping.

Anyway, I was recently visiting my best friend Denver, Colorado and noticed that my tinnitus had stopped. It was really amazing to lay in bed at night in total silence.

Also I've noticed over the years my right ear (the affected ear) often gets blocked after exercising or when flying. I've often wondered if my tinnitus is caused by fluid or an allergy. I've had hearing tests that came back perfect and the doctors found nothing wrong.

So in conclusion... I guess I'm moving to Denver.

P.S I'm writing this whilst listening to my tinnitus and reminiscing about my recent trip to Colorado.

17. Maggie135

Maggie135 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      We moved from an elevation of approximately 800' to 7,850' one to two years ago and both my husband and I noticed that our tinnitus has declined significantly, from almost all of the time to rarely. There is no question in our minds that elevation has made the difference.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1