Tinnitus Worsened by Infection

Discussion in 'Support' started by sandyknight, Jul 13, 2024.

1. sandyknight
      Scared

sandyknight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I've been dealing with tinnitus for eight years and have learned to tune it out, but recently something has changed. I've noticed that my tinnitus now includes new noises, but only when certain frequencies are being played.

When my fan is on, I hear a low-pitched buzzing, like someone mowing the lawn from far away. Yesterday, it went as far as making my ear vibrate slightly. Certain songs make me hear high-pitched notes that aren't actually there.

This change came with a list of other symptoms that I suspect might be part of an infection, but I can't fully identify which one. My nose gets stuffy and sometimes runs, one ear gets clogged and alternates between ears (usually accompanied by mild hearing loss). I experience no pain, fever, or significant facial pressure. Someone mentioned I might have hyperacusis, but I don't have any discomfort, pain, or heightened noise sensitivity.

The new noises aren't very loud and can be easily drowned out or ignored, but I'm still anxious. Has anyone gone through something similar? Did it resolve within a few days or weeks? Thanks in advance.

2. LukeYoung
      Cold

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Do you still have the infection?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sandyknight
      Scared

sandyknight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      By now, I’m beginning to think this isn’t (or ever was) an infection. My symptoms never quite aligned with anything I could find anyway.

Some of my symptoms have waned, others haven’t. Runny nose, aural pressure, frequent sneezing, and distortions are better, but now I think my noise sensitivity is increasing, and my tinnitus is getting louder. I think I’m going to try cutting out some sound for a while and see if things improve a bit.

4. LukeYoung
      Cold

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      It sounds like a cold, flu, or infection. There is pressure in the ears, etc. See how you feel for the next two weeks or so.