Tiny Little Triumph: I Was Able to Draw and Paint Despite Tinnitus Causing Concentration Problems

Discussion in 'Support' started by Roserosie, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Roserosie

Roserosie Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi. I’m new here and so is my tinnitus (just over one month) I want to say thank you so much for all the advice and support floating around on here, glad I found you all. I am a complete mess- can’t sleep, can hardly eat (have lost a tonne of weight).

BUT

I’ve just had a little mini triumph and I wanted to share as it might help someone else new to trying to cope. I’ve been really obsessing about the tinnitus and it is like an addiction that my mind can’t stop checking on it.

I was really upset as I can’t concentrate or stay still for long and the ringing gets too oppressive and I also have a bad back which is much worse right now so distracting myself is a real struggle.

I used to paint all the time but I haven’t done so in over 2 years for various reasons.

Unable to sleep I tried to sit down and sketch with a hot water bottle at my back and it wasn’t working but I found if I played an audiobook at the same time - after about 10 minutes not concentrating on the tinnitus was becoming easier with my mind trying to concentrate on drawing and painting and listening at the same time.

D0331FE5-E59C-4212-AD00-860C0FE709CA.jpeg

Hopefully the first of more paintings and little glimpses of progress. If this tinnitus means I get back to art that would be a real triumph.

So basically I think multitasking is good I think. But if you like to draw or sketch or colour in maybe doing that and actively listening to something might help you too.

I’m also doing hypnosis for relaxation and trying to do the ‘Back to Silence’ method and I think they are helping.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. RookieReborn
      Scared

RookieReborn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m new here but I’m happy for you!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roserosie

Roserosie Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Rookie! Thanks, now if only I could get some sleep... hope you are doing OK

4. RookieReborn
      Scared

RookieReborn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m struggling to sleep too but you know what? F*ck it, this is the new me now.