Unrelenting Eustachian Tube Troubles

Discussion in 'Support' started by Coyotesheaven, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      I've had eustachian tube problems since May. They were not caused by a co-occuring infection or allergies, but likely due to tight muscles around the tubes. There is no mucosal congestion in the tubes either, so I would not expect decongestants to do anything.

I keep having the problem where, when I open my mouth to yawn or swallow, my eustachian tubes pop explosively and powerfully with a tearing noise (it's much louder than it should be, and much more physically felt than normal). It also happens when I pop my ears (by pretending to yawn), even if I am doing it super lightly. Oftentimes, this results in vertigo, horrendous ear pain, and muffled hearing. It's nightmarish because it happens every few minutes. And today it is making me want to bang on the wall because of how painful it is.

What have people done to help alleviate this problem that involve doing other things aside from decongestants and a pressure equalizing device?

2. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      My own Eustachian tube problems were caused by the very slightest viral infection, but never resolved, so you have my sympathies.

Are your problems confirmed to be muscle related? I think that in many cases (mine included) the real reason for the persistent ETD is never really established. The ear pain and muffling are pretty standard with ETD, but vertigo isn't so usual.

I see you don't want decongestants (They only give temporary, if any, improvement, with a likely rebound when stopped). Pressure equalising devices will, though, get rid of the pain and pressure symptoms. I haven't found any tinnitus improvement (I didn't really expect any.), but grommets, T-tubes etc insertion are pretty minor procedures and may not even need a general anaesthetic.

I accepted the surgical approach and am satisfied enough with the outcome.

Fungus

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @Fungus

I would not want an equalization tube because it is muscular in origin. My scalenes, trapezius, and sternocleidomastoid muscles are often going into spasm, as well as those around the TMJ. It's due to another health problem.

4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Have you got your jaw and neck checked by a doctor? It could be a TMJ disorder..

5. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
    6. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      Have you tried betahistine? I believe it acts on the smooth muscle. Baclofen may also help with the spasms.

7. Michelle G

Michelle G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure at a concert
      Hello, my name is Michelle and I am 14 years old. I developed tinnitus a month ago from a very loud concert. I was also sick at the time, which contributed to my ears being blocked. I went to an audiologist who said that my hearing is very good and that my air pressure test was normal (tympanogram) . I still went to an ENT to make sure. He checked my ear drum, my nose, jaw, etc. He said that my Eustachian tube is probably not functioning as it's supposed to due to my cold. I have gotten over the cold, and still have no relief. I used decongestants, nasal spray, Neti pots, etc. It is hard to get my ears to pop, but when they do I only get a few seconds of relief. I have a 24 hour flight to South Africa in a month. My ENT said that I should be fine, but I do not want to damage my ear drum or experience great pain. I bought ear planes and plan to chew gum, but I need advice on whether I should go. Should I take prednisone, or will that make my tinnitus worse as it is considered ototoxic and there are a lot of threads claiming that it made it worse. Thank you all so much!

8. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Hi Michelle, for what you are saying you may have being exposed to too much sound at the concert. The ears blocked after the cold got over, the tinnitus and muffled hearing could be signs of hearing damage. The ENT may have been misled by the cold (this is a thing that happens often) and have ruled out the concert as a potential source of damage. For instance, muffled hearing as a result from hearing damage (too much sound, too loud) is present in hyperacusis when hyperacusic ears are exposed to loud sounds.

As for the flight: buy good earmuffs and that should be ok, also chew gum. In my experience, plugging your ears during the flight can be really painful when the plane descends, but other people have had different experiences. I hope you feel better soon!

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @The Red Viper

Yes I am still having problems with them here and there, but my damage is largely cochlear in nature. They do have an affect on my hearing, but not a strong one.

10. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      @Coyotesheaven, same here although my ET is getting much better with time. It's just taken a loooong time. I also suspect some kind of muscle thing as mine doesn't quite "open" or "close" properly when compared to the left. I also get PT in different positions (e.g. bending over or getting up after laying down for a while) which I suspect is muscular in nature.