Vinpocetine Caution!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Blujay, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      Vinpocetine is often mentioned as a treatment for tinnitus. But be very careful about this so-called "safe" supplement. The listed side effects seem minor, but take them seriously; they can last LONG after discontinuance. This is a powerful supplement that affects many brain functions, and it can have nasty effects on some.

Some comments are posted at the following site.

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/23457-vinpocetine-ditch-it/

2. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I didn't understand much of that but I get the idea. Glad I haven't chosen to take it.

By the way @Blujay you have had you T since 1900 so 115 years, thats tough. Lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      I would like to add to the above post. There are many who claim positive results from vinpocetine, and with few or no side effects. A search of the Web makes the above article seem out of the ordinary; however, I posted it so that everyone could be as informed as possible.

4. erniej
      Sporty

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      I have had the worst experience from taking this supplement. I stopped it seven days ago and I am still feeling the negative side affects. It increased the volume of my tinnitus. It is wearing off somewhat today. Woke up to a very quiet tinnitus morning. Still weak with a headache and some nashua.

5. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      I took vinpocetine for a few weeks, and ultimately noticed minor improvements in my Tinnitus, but also had some neurological side effects (increasing dizziness, for example). Discontinuing vinpocetine brought things back to normal in about 2-3 weeks, in my case.

6. Picassocat

Picassocat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      24 y
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
    7. Picassocat

Picassocat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      24 y
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Here's my experience with Vinpocetine, both the good and the not-so-good.

On the positive side, it reduced my tinnitus from sounding like cicadas to crickets—and I love crickets.

However, I did experience some side effects, particularly a spike in my tinnitus when I took the wrong dosage.

The most troublesome side effects were sleep problems and diarrhea. I eventually had to stop taking it altogether because I could hardly sleep, and my heart was pounding, even at just 4 mg per day.

In my opinion, if you have tinnitus, you might want to try a low dose (5 mg) of Vinpocetine with food in the morning. It may reduce your tinnitus, and hopefully, you won't encounter any serious side effects.

• Informative Informative x 2