Volume Limiting Cable for Headphones

Discussion in 'Support' started by rachelfaye, May 17, 2014.

1. rachelfaye

rachelfaye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      february 2014
      Hi - not sure where this post goes -- but I have a son with a disability (non-verbal, 15 yrs old) who LOVES to watch videos on the computer at high volume. The computer doesn't have a way to limit volume output.

I found this product that goes between the headphones and the computer and it works very well - the noise stays very reasonably quiet. Because hearing loss is hereditary in my family I fear he'll develop tinnitus and due to his disability not be able to express what is going on. It's only about 5 bucks on Amazon.

Just thought I'd share if anyone has a family member prone to high-volume habits. They do have volume limited kids headphones that look like panda bears etc . . . but I can't bear to have my 15 year-old wear those!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    2. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      What's the manufacturer / direct link?

3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      he can simply remove the cable whenever he wants :)

5. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      "Limits Volume To 80% of Maximum Output" - That might not be enough, depending on the headphone sensitivity and output power. Smarter device would limit the output decibels, but that would cost probably more.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      rachelfaye

rachelfaye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      february 2014
      Hi - well . . . I combined that little cable with sound-limiting headphones (dB Logic HP 100, about 20 dollars). I'm sure it's still not enough - BUT it's way better than what he was doing. Even with the computer volume at its loudest it's quite low through the headphones.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GUY13W/?tag=tinntalk-20

• Like Like x 1
    7. Marias21
      Busy

Marias21 Member

Cause of Tinnitus:
      allergies
      IM going to buying this for myself i love listening to music but am now concern about my Hearing the one good thing that came out of this Year allergies is because of this ringing in my ear now im going to be more responsible so i wont get the peppermint ringing and I really hope they find a cure for you guys

• Like Like x 1