Walked by a Loud Jet Engine That Made a Loud Sound: Now My Tinnitus Is Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by BBakkers, Dec 26, 2020.

1. BBakkers
      Not amused

BBakkers Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2011, Spike 2019, Spike 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1e Loud Music, 2e earwax irrigation, 3e padel tennis
      Flying to Finland to meet my girlfriend's family.

2th time flying. No biggie with good protection. It's all smooth. For the next part I couldn't be prepared for. I went out of the airplane. We had to go outside, old school no tube to walk back into the airport. The engine from the airplane was still on. It made a loud fucking sound. Everybody's ears were hurting. People were literally hurting and putting their fingers in their ears. So this wasn't me only. Luckily I wore earplugs when I went outside. I had protection of 17 dB for like 30 seconds. Then I quickly put a builder earmuffs. Which gave me around another 30 dB protection. Good double protection. So in total maybe 45 dB. Unfortunately we had to wait in the bus while the engine of the airplane was still on for like 4 minutes. Made me really mad but couldn't do anything about it.

Not sure if my tinnitus is up or if it is just anxiety. I feel like it's a bit worse again. Really, really shitty situation, really irresponsible of the flying company. Not only for me but for the others as well. I was really coping well the last months, now I feel like my tinnitus buzz is more noticeable during the whole day. Exhausting and what a bad luck. You couldn't think of this happening.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. BrOKeN_1

BrOKeN_1 Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Frequency Hearing Loss
      That sucks man! I hope the elevated noise comes down for you soon. It's rough learning to live with this shit. I'm barely two months in and hating it. God willing there is help sooner then later. Stay strong brother.:beeranimation:

• Like Like x 1
    3. Psych
      Wishful

Psych Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Many moons...
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sounds like something that should get better pretty quickly. Good thing you had hearing protection with you. Good looking out! :huganimation:

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BBakkers
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks guys for the support. Needed that. I hope and think so too.

5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      No, double protection does not add up like that...

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Margrietje
      Alienated

Margrietje Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea; no hearing damage
      Ah come on, bad timing man. He certainly did a good job with the extra protection, even though you can’t literally add up the two. His ears will have been the safest possible.

BBakers, kop op, makker! Those other people had nothing but their fingers to protect their ears, and this situation isn’t uncommon at all. Some people experience this multiple times a week (because of their job for example). Moral of the story? A lot of passengers would be deaf if it was as dangerous as you think. Your protection took care of your sensitive hearing. Take a deep breath and try to focus on these calming facts. I mean, you certainly know a lot of people that got tinnitus after a concert, but none after waiting next to a plane! Give your ears and your mind a break ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      And that's why handling agents have to wear earmuffs at all times, all the time, for safety reasons, when they are working around aircrafts...

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BBakkers
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So how does it work?

9. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I'm not great at maths, but the result of double protection, let's say foam earplugs and construction earmuffs, is less that just adding up the individual protection provided by each item.

The decibel scale is logarithmic... so... complicated. Sound attenuation also varies by frequency...

10. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Wondering how the efficiency of double protection translates to higher decibel levels? All it takes is a simple calculation to determine the level your double hearing protection is providing: Add 5 dBA to the highest noise reduction rating of the higher-rated hearing device. For example, if you’re using an earplug with a 30 NRR and an earmuff with a 26 NRR, you would add 5 dB to the 30 NRR for the earplug. Your protection level would then increase to 35 dB, assuming the earplug is worn properly. This simplified method of calculating double protection dBA is based on OSHA recommendations.

Source was:
      https://www.safetyandhealthmagazine.com/articles/19104-double-hearing-protection

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    11. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

That is the ideal maximum though, right?

Isn’t it recommended you take the NRR, subtract 7, then divide it by 2 to get the decibel level in case your fit is not 100% correct?

Example:

33 NRR-7/2=13dB(a) reduction

https://www.coopersafety.com/earplugs-noise-reduction

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BBakkers
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the support. I think so too. Nothing I can change now. Just deal with it. It just shit. It has been going very well lately.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Pete88

Pete88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely noise
      I personally believe that you are actually going to be ok.

As people have pointed out, you had some protection right away and quickly got doubled up. As correctly pointed out, that doesn't mean 45 dB protection, probably closer to 25 to 30 dB. I think the "subtract 7 and divide by 2" is more of a caution than written in stone. It's basically assuming you are wearing the protection incorrectly or moving around a lot and dislodging the protection. It's basically saying "just because it says 30 dB reduction, don't assume you'll always have that protection."

You had good protection the whole 4 minutes of exposure. I think you are experiencing anxiety. I have done this to myself countless times. It usually happens when I've been feeling good and at peace with my tinnitus. Then a loud noise happens and my fear takes over suddenly I perceive the noise as damaging. This goes for some time until I find something in life that distracts me... then eventually I realize my tinnitus is normal.

If you look for changes to your tinnitus while having anxiety caused by loud noise, you will find it. I honestly think you did the right thing and should enjoy the the benefit, the benefit being that no damage was likely done.

How are you doing now?

• Like Like x 1
    14. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown for 10 years, but later bad from loud fireworks.
      My belief is that double protection will provide better protection for some frequencies than others, i.e. I bet double protection probably provides more than +5 dB protection against higher frequencies, since those tend to get blocked more than lower frequencies.

• Informative Informative x 1