Watching Barbie at Cinema Potentially Ruined Life — Unilateral Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Nick., Aug 9, 2023.

1. Nick.

Nick. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax + Acoustic Trauma (Cinema)
      Hello all,

I first got tinnitus on the evening of Monday 10th July. I was watching YouTube on my phone with my AirPods plugged in at what seemed like a reasonable volume when I started hearing an unusual whistling sound in my right ear. Thinking nothing of it, I went to sleep.

The sound persisted and morphed over the next few days, never ceasing. On the Thursday that week I saw my GP who identified a large earwax buildup. I was told to use olive oil eardrops to break it down. However, my anxiety grew immensely that day for fear of this becoming permanent. I had read too many horror stories on Google and feared for my future greatly. This anxiety caused me to shake a lot that evening in fear, and no doubt was the cause of an immense spike that night. The spike was so great that I was certain to end my life by walking in front of a train if the earwax removal I had thankfully gotten couldn't remedy the problem. Thankfully, the tinnitus lessened that day and with support from my family I was able to make it through. Over the next two weeks the tinnitus subsided completely. I had recovered and had a second chance.

Until Monday last week. Monday, July 31st 2023. The day I blew my second chance at life. My friend was going through something horrible. Her mother was dying on the other side of the world due to cancer. I wanted to support her as best I could, and cheer her up. I took her to a cinema to see Barbie that evening. It was supposed to take her mind off things for a few hours. The sound was quite loud at the cinema and I covered my ear a few times. I didn't want to be a buzzkill and ask to leave though.

That night my tinnitus came back, and has persisted ever since. The worst sound is when it's loud and high pitched. It upsets me a lot. I never thought this would happen. Why did I go? Why did I throw away my second chance at life?

I saw an ENT at Harley Street who prescribed me some Prednisolone and Serc. They thought I've either got damage to the cochlea, or just an inflammation causing a fluid buildup. The tests indicated my hearing is mostly fine. My gut says there's damage. I've been on the meds for nearly a week and seen no measurable improvement. To me it's increasingly clear that this is going to be a long term thing for me.

This is my life now. I blew it. I should have worn headphones. I shouldn't have gone to that cinema. I had one chance at life and gave this to myself. I know that for as long as I live, I don't think I'll ever forgive myself.

I'm hoping to be able speak with other people who can help me with the emotional impact this dreadful condition has. I'll try to add something myself. I don't want to keep lurking anymore.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      Early days.

There is every chance you will improve.

Protect your ears for the next few months. You could still get worse with further accidental noise exposure.

Get earplugs, earmuffs and use them.

Stay at home if you can and educate everyone that lives with you.

You need to be careful and patient.

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jan 2021 MRI, Worsened Nov 2021 Vaccine, Oct 2023 Smoke Alar
      The loudness level at cinemas is something that really needs to be looked at. There is no need for it to be as loud as it is.

Things can improve, but the early weeks are tough so prepare for some ups and downs. Hopefully things will improve for you. Carry some foam earplugs with you and don't be afraid to use them if you feel something is too loud.

• Agree Agree x 4
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I agree that it is too early to worry too much. Tinnitus from acoustic trauma will usually lose its intensity over time, especially if you don’t react too negatively to it.

Patience and positive approach will help calm the limbic nerves and reduce the intensity of the tinnitus.

Take good protection of the ears and try to have good sleep. You can try Melatonin or use nature sounds to mask the tinnitus if it bothers you. It will take some time for your ears to settle. Give the body time to heal the ears.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. God bless.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick.

Nick. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax + Acoustic Trauma (Cinema)
      ENT seems to think there's a 60% chance of the issue being inner ear endolymphatic hydrops.

Anyone know what the prognosis for something like this is?

6. WCJohn
      Vegged out

WCJohn Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clonazepam, Trazodone
      Hi @Nick., welcome to the club, sorry you had to join.

It can be really hard to maintain perspective when you realize that tinnitus is setting in. Many people blame themselves for this condition; self-blame is natural, especially in the beginning. Really, though you don't have to forgive yourself, you didn't do anything wrong. Heck, you helped a friend in a time of need. In time, you can also see that even if it were true that you "blew" your second chance at life, you still have a third. Even if none of this makes sense now, it will later. Until then, go easy on yourself. You are a good person.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. cjbhab
      Confused

cjbhab Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinuses, Ear infection
      You can’t blame yourself. It isn’t productive and you need to know it wasn’t your fault.

You asked “why did I go?”

You went because everyone else in the entire world went. That’s what people do. They go to movies. They go to concerts. Most don’t get tinnitus. We are just the unlucky ones.

How can I blame myself for going to a concert when everyone else went too?

• Agree Agree x 9
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1