Waxsol, EarClear and Syringing to Remove Earwax Resulted in Distorted Tinnitus / Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by LukeYoung, Dec 28, 2023.

1. LukeYoung
      Cold

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Hey guys,

Been a long time since i have posted anything as tinnitus in general is going quite well.

Recently my left ear has felt quite blocked up, so I started using earwax removal drops. The next day it was even worse (I think the drops soaked in and may have expanded the wax more) to the point where I have about 10-20% hearing left in my ear. I continued with a few days of eardrops to no avail.

Yesterday I went to the nurse to have my ears syringed to see if we can get some wax out as I am due back to work today. This was fairly unsuccessful and I was still left feeling blocked and deaf. I also switched from Waxsol to carbamide peroxide (EarClear) to see if that would work any better than Waxsol. This morning I woke up and got ready for work, I touched my ear just above the tragus and it felt like I got some movement of the wax and my ear felt slightly better, about 40% less blocked and the hearing came back to feeling about 40% as well.

But I have now this weird fleeting sound, similar to like a wind mixed with cicadas that comes and goes fleetingly. It seems it may even be reactive to sound as when I cup my ears I can only hear my normal tinnitus.

Can anyone give me advice on what it could be? Or if it's just my hearing adjusting due to it having been blocked for so long and some sounds are starting to get in the ear as the wax loosens?

This has ramped my anxiety up and I also feel sick because of nervousness.

I am going to leave work early today and try and rest to see how I feel later. Being in a quieter environment may help me determine if it's some sort of hyperacusis to sounds at work (in an office on the main street in our town), or if something else is going on.

In the interim, I will try to book an appointment with an ENT but being this time of year, it may be very difficult to see someone.

2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Syringing has caused tinnitus in many people and made it worse for others. Avoid it in future.

3. Spliffurt

Spliffurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones, COVID-19, Microsuction
      I'd avoid the microsuction vacuum at all costs; it's what put me on this forum.

I've had somewhat similar issues, including hyperacusis, that resolved in some months.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LukeYoung
      Cold

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What sort of problems were you having?

5. Spliffurt

Spliffurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones, COVID-19, Microsuction
      A really bad sharpness or crisp with everything; everything sounded compressed and like sandpaper rubbing together, is the best way I can describe it. The worst was running water and traffic. It got a lot better over about half a year.

I was freaking out and had my ears plugged up for more than a month after the procedure. I wonder what role the plugs had to do with it and my recovery.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LukeYoung
      Cold

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m starting to feel better. It could even be the fact my ear was completely deaf for 4-5 days and then when sound finally came through, my hearing was sensitive.

7. Mark F.

Mark F. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      gunshots
      @LukeYoung, how severe would you say your tinnitus has been in the last few years? Did the volume of it go down since your concert trauma, several years ago?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LukeYoung
      Cold

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My tinnitus has been barely noticeable for the last 2 years I’d say. It really dropped off around 3-4 years in.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Mark F.

Mark F. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      gunshots
      @LukeYoung, that is great news! Gives hope to those like us, who damaged their ears with noise.

I'm glad you are feeling better after the microsuction. Protect those ears, and have a happy new year!