• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Announcement Welcome to Updated Tinnitus Talk!

Tinnitus Talk

Knowledge Base
Author
Staff
Hall of Fame
Jan 23, 2012
www.tinnitustalk.com
You may have been quite surprised visiting Tinnitus Talk today with everything suddenly looking different!

We hope you like the new look of Tinnitus Talk. It's actually a lot more than just a new look though, a major software update was involved, and some restructuring of our forums — with brand new forums for hearing loss and misophonia!

You can now personalize your experience using the gear icon, where you can choose between a light or dark theme. On larger screens, you can also switch between a grid or a traditional table view for the forum list.

That also means there might be some bugs and things that don't quite work as expected. Please report any such issues in this thread.

This upgrade has been in the works for a long time and we've worked hard to make the site better for you. And there's more to come, as we also plan to launch new static sections with information on tinnitus causes, treatments, and more — with objective information that will be vetted by experts.

We hope you like it! Please feel free to share your thoughts on how we could improve even further.

And there's more to come, as we also plan to launch new static sections with information on tinnitus causes, treatments, and more — with objective information that will be vetted by experts.
That's a really good idea! I'm already looking forward to it.
We hope you like it! Please feel free to share your thoughts on how we could improve even further.
You first have to find your way around and try out the new site–but for the moment I like it very much, both in terms of the design and the structure!

Quite a startling shift from the old design which will take me a while to get used to. On the whole, I think it's an improvement, so well done. Personally, I would rather you didn't include the Tinnitus Quest banner, as I find it quite annoying. Just my opinion.

Here are a few things I've noticed (forgive me if they seem nitpicky). If this is better suited in a private message rather than a forum post, please let me know.
  • In dark mode, anchor text is difficult to read and doesn't meet the WCAG 2.1 AA standard of at least 4.5:1 contrast.
    • I haven't tested any other colors, but it may be a good idea to do an accessibility audit.
  • Including user photos with replies on the user profile page would be helpful to increase distinction between users - some of use rely on the visual profile photo to help remember who users are.
    • Can use a smaller image size to keep hierarchy.
  • The logo in the page header has a different type treatment than I've seen across Tinnitus Hub promotional material.
    • For example, clicking on "Donate" in the header brings up a modal with different type treatment in the logo.
    • Not sure if this is intentional or not, but I know consistent branding is always important.
  • At the top of the profile page where it lists the number of reactions, it seems the "love" reaction is classified as "other" while the rest are "positive." This creates two separate numbered counts with a pipe between them.
  • Does the site need a GDPR cookie consent banner? I may be a little behind on my GDPR compliance training.
  • Markdown support would be a nice-to-have.
  • I'm also hoping the CDN cache (or however content is being generated and delivered) might update a little more frequently than in the past.
Again, I really like the redesign and code/architecture overhaul. It's a really nice improvement.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now